IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
Hi - I'm looking for alternatives (that others have sucessfully used) to the $50 steel Vans Odyssey Battery Box kit. Mainly for weight savings, and not looking forward to cutting holes in the steel box.

I see that ACS sells a "Hold Down Bracket" for $38, but I don't know what it is made of. They also sell the steel box for $22. You can see both here

There are some forum references to an aluminum box for the PC680, but I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone have any experiences to share, hopefully with pictures? I need to place an order soon and don't know which way to go.

Last edited:
Dave,

I don't have any off-the-shelf suggestions, but making a battery box out of aluminum should be a simple task. If you have access to a sheet metal bender or box bender, it would be even easier. You've built enough airplane to know how to rivet such a box together, I'm sure. Might be worth powder coating or dipping in rubber coating (like used for tool handles - buy a can at the local hardware) for corrosion protection, although it looks like the odyssey doesn't have leak issues.

greg

Shop on line for a PC680MJ for the lowest to-your-door price. Then slip a thin knife between the battery and the box to cut the blobs of silicone that glue the two together. Modify the box.

I'm certain you'll come out cheaper than buying separately and/or from the aircraft suppliers. Weight forward of the c.g. is a good thing in a 7 and 9; gives you more c.g. range aft for loads.

Never heard of an Al box for sale.

John Siebold

Last edited:
Box

Hi - I'm looking for alternatives (that others have sucessfully used) to the $50 steel Vans Odyssey Battery Box kit. Mainly for weight savings, and not looking forward to cutting holes in the steel box.

I see that ACS sells a "Hold Down Bracket" for $38, but I don't know what it is made of. They also sell the steel box for $22. You can see both here

There are some forum references to an aluminum box for the PC680, but I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone have any experiences to share, hopefully with pictures? I need to place an order soon and don't know which way to go.

Why not modify the Van's battery hold down supplied with the kit? I did by adding an aluminum angle to the bottom of the tray and moving the tiedown bolts to center on the Odyssey.

Doesn't cost anything and is probably as light as the steel one with holes.

Email me at--- mannanj at windstream dot net--- and I'll send you a pic of how I did it. (I really need to learn how to attatch photos here.----Maybe someday!)

Thanks guys - I think that aluminum bracket is the same thing that Spruce is selling for $38.75, except the ACS one has the optional "textured black coating".

Looks like it wraps around 5 sides of the battery - to get the battery out I think you'd have to loosen / remove the 6 screws holding the thing to the firewall. Less than 1 pound is sure attractive, though.

Has anyone used one of these yet? Got a picture?

dave

Last edited:
Box

Why not modify the Van's battery hold down supplied with the kit? I did by adding an aluminum angle to the bottom of the tray and moving the tiedown bolts to center on the Odyssey.

Doesn't cost anything and is probably as light as the steel one with holes.

Email me at--- mannanj at windstream dot net--- and I'll send you a pic of how I did it. (I really need to learn how to attatch photos here.----Maybe someday!)

I guess the new Van's box is different from the pre-odyssey era. Sorry.:(

I guess the new Van's box is different from the pre-odyssey era. Sorry.:(
Hi Mannan - I'm not sure if it is different. It looks like there is a battery tray included with the fuse kit (DWG 31). It is for what looks like a regular lead-acid battery. It mounts on the front LEFT side of the firewall. It is an open tray, held to the firewall with some pieces of angle (about 7 total). I didn't realize it, but I actually have these parts. I can't see what type of battery this is for, but it is shown with filler caps.

Is this the mount you modified for the Odyssey? If so, I'd love to see the pictures.

DWG 31A shows the optional Odyssey mount, which is the steel box. It mounts on the RIGHT side of the firewall.

I like the idea of the <1 lb. aluminum box, bolted to the firewall. I have to figure out how to bolt it on. Hopefully someone else has done this before...

Last edited: