tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
For those with James cowls, you are obviously aware of the glued wetsuit material that is used to make the transition betweeen the plenum and the cowl ring.

It does not seem to be a very robust solution (not wearing well after 100 hours), and I am curious what alternative solutions others might have come up with?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott, Dan Horton will probably chime in later, but he made his own with a liquid rubber, the name of it escapes me.

Best,

I haven't had a problem with my neoprene cooling inlet boots....but my RamAir boot got loose from stretching it on and off all the time. So I bought a 3" dia 2 ply silicone "turbo" hose. It is much stiffer but works with out any clamps. I was able to cut back my Aluminum extension on the front of my Bower RamAir, making cowl installation much easier around the spinner.

I'll be looking into getting Silicone hose to use on the cooling inlets.

FWIW....at 200 hours and a little less than 2 years of operation the urethane ducts are doing fine. That said, the rubber formulation used (PMC870) does a strange thing when submerged in liquid water; it turns white. I do not know if this is a function of the black rubber dye I used in the mix, or a property of the rubber itself. It returns to black as soon as it dries, and doesn't seem to suffer for it. Another rubber formulation might be worth an experiment, your mileage may vary, etc.

FWIW....at 200 hours and a little less than 2 years of operation the urethane ducts are doing fine. That said, the rubber formulation used (PMC870) does a strange thing when submerged in liquid water; it turns white. I do not know if this is a function of the black rubber dye I used in the mix, or a property of the rubber itself. It returns to black as soon as it dries, and doesn't seem to suffer for it. Another rubber formulation might be worth an experiment, your mileage may vary, etc.

Wow, not only does it look cool and work great. "No, it is a round inlet, so it must be a James cowl!! (me ROTFL)." But it does tricks too!