plythall

I'm New Here
I read in an EAA article that for an IFR equipped aircraft there should be a valve installed on the panel that allows the static air system to utilize the cabins atmosphere as the static source in the event of a static system failure. Granted that the cabin is not a reliable source, it is better than no instruments.

My question is where do I locate one of these valves, I remember seeing it in a 69 C172 but I can't locate the valve on Aircraft spruce or anywhere for that matter.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

plythall said:
I read in an EAA article that for an IFR equipped aircraft there should be a valve installed on the panel that allows the static air system to utilize the cabins atmosphere as the static source in the event of a static system failure. Granted that the cabin is not a reliable source, it is better than no instruments.

My question is where do I locate one of these valves, I remember seeing it in a 69 C172 but I can't locate the valve on Aircraft spruce or anywhere for that matter.

I'm going to install one of these on my panel before I fly IFR (mostly because I want an excuse to work on the plane :D ). I want to use one of the NPT style fittings that plug into the bottom of an air compressor - anyone know of a good source?

Alt Static

I tee'd off my static line, dropped a length of tubing down about 12" to a bracket riveted to the fuselage longeron.

I then used an NPT nipple and a locking fuel drain. Since this is the low point of the static system it doubles as both a drain and an alternate static source.

I like the idea of a petcock instead of the fuel drain, because it might be a bit easier to open in flight.

Vern

Simple alternate static system

I used silicone tubing to plumb my instruments behind the panel, so for an alternate source I simply put a straight connector in the line, flush with the bottom of the panel, and easily accessible in flight. For alternate static, I simply pull one of the tubes off from the barbed connector.

Alt Static

Hi Peter

I use a Curtis CCA 1550 quick drain valve. "T" into static line and mount on a bracket under the left arm rest 6A & 7A.

George
(worked as holiday relief controller in YXJ tower, summer 1965)

Trash or Treasure?

plythall said:
.........My question is where do I locate one of these valves, I remember seeing it in a 69 C172 but I can't locate the valve..........
A few years ago, I picked up a used one for $20 out of a wrecked Cessna at the salvage/scrap yard in Staunton, Il. http://www.cent-air.com/ For a real eye opener, visit one of these places sometime! This particular one has a grass runway, but you must call first because there might be a few wrecks parked on it. In any event...give em a call.

I don't know if it is true or not but someone once told me a simple aquarium valve would work just as well.

I installed a branch T in the 1/4 hose between instruments. The branch is a 1/8 pipe thread with a cap on it barely visible below the panel. Just unscrew it. I'd be wary of installations pulling a line off a barb. It's either too easy with failure potential, or you're struggling to work it off in flight, needing both hands.

John Siebold
Boise
-7 (180 hrs), -7 finished airframe