woodmanrog

Well Known Member
A while back I said I would post a method of supporting exhaust pipes that I have used on my last 3 RV's. I have to admit I borrowed the idea from a spam can but it works beautifully. Two springs (one fore each pipe), four adel clamps, 2 pipe clamps and a piece of aluminum spacer. The reason I like this system so much is that it allows movement of the pipes (vibration) without having the fear of a solid attachment cracking or breaking. The photos are pretty self explanatory.

slr7fl.jpg

11rakwk.jpg

Last edited:
rog, nice stuff. in the top pic, is the small tube going thru the floor for the carb drain? i dont have one yet! plan on putting one in.

I like it a lot and think I'll change over as I've never really liked the Van's method. Do you recall the spring size/type?

cheers,
greg

Here is my version of an improved exhaust mount

gereed75

The hanger has a spring from mcmaster carr with the same ID as the OD of the SS tubing from the original hanger. It is solder brazed to the tube. A roll pin goes through the bottom half of the hanger tube and this is threaded into the spring. That allows some length and angle adjustability of the hanger.

The horizontal spreader between the hanger brackets is simply a 10-32 piece of all thread with a 6061 aluminum tube as a spacer between the hangers. The spacer is lock nutted to the all thread. I cut the 90 degree ears off of the original hanger clamp and put the all thread spacer assembly through the standard hole where the nut and bolt for the hanger clamp normally goes.

Not only does this set-up eliminate the hokey hose and clamps while preserving compliance in the hangers, it creates much less clutter in the cowling exit so the cooling airflow meets significantly fewer obstructions. It is also easier to assemble than the standard nuts/bolts, hoses clamps etc. It is very secure and clean.

Last edited:
Gary,

So, looks like you replaced the hose with the spring, and keep the spring in place using safety wire or similar?

cheers,
greg

Yep, replaced the hose with a spring. Spring is Brazed to the top half of hanger tube and "screwed" onto the bottom half. The roll pin through the bottom hanger provides the "thread engagement" for the spring on the bottom hanger tube. The safety wire only ensures the roll pin can not come out.

airplanetransfers024.jpg

Yea finally got an image in my post!! wonders never cease!!

Here is another image that might show the pin threaded spring a bit better

airplanetransfers025.jpg

The spring could be brazed to the bottom half of the tube hanger just as well.

Last edited: