rjcthree

Well Known Member
As I'm wrapping up my inventory for my engine build, locating the specified nose seal grease (for between the crank and seal) has proven difficult. I'm on the road, and don't recall exactly the spec.

Has anybody an equivalent or alternate?

Thanks, Rick 90432

It's going to live on engine oil. As long as it's truly got a film there It's got to be okay. Do you know about sanding a "spiral" pattern in that area to act as a slinger? It's pretty standard practice.

sanded slinger

I figured engine oil would do, as it lives there forever - I was assuming it's the 'dry rip' that we're trying to protect against - when not separated from metal by a decent grease, and left under some pressure, rubber will bond to metal fairly quickly - like in days, usually when new. Grease has enough viscosity to prevent. If it's not critical, Redline CV2 it is!

Sand the surface . . .as in to 'plow' the oil back into the engine against the seal surface? Nope, hadn't heard that one yet. Using what? I'm sure I don't want to go more than a 250 cloth on that . . .even that may be too much?

Rick

If you can get a hold of TCM SB M76-4 it describes the helix procedure mentioned above. If it is done improperly it will cause leaks between the shaft and the seal, rather then helping to prevent them. When done properly it is a very effective tool to help combat leaking in that area. Superlube is a commonly available, effective silicon grease, that will work between the shaft and the seal lip, when installing the seal.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."