Mike D

Well Known Member
I have searched but cant seem to find any related posts, so....

Have you installed an alternate static port? If so, where did you put the switch. Stein sells a toggle switch that provides a alternate static air and I am wondering where to put it. Is there a standard location?

I would like it to be out of the way, but visible in case it is needed.

We went the simple route.
Kinds like the old Mooney's' method.

Break something :eek:
In the Mooney's you broke the VSI.

Have knife, have static line, cut static line with knife :eek:

Experimentals are prohibited from flight into known icing...
We have two static ports, one on each side.
If the static/pitot system fails, the air data is supplemented by the GPS.
Chance of failure small.

Chose to keep it simple and not add the complexity, cost, and weight of an alternate other than the line and the knife that we always carry on board.

Just install a "T" fitting with a removable plug in the cockpit. Heck, you could run a line off that "T" to your panel.

Most of the builders I know except for the pressurized guys vent the alternate static to the cockpit. Heck, there are a few that vented their primary static to the cockpit! Anyway, If one is frozen on the outside (two in the case of an RV and most planes), it'd be likely that any other outside ones would also be frozen.

Plug in the t thing is ok as long as you have things mounted where you can get to them. Also do a test on it, sometimes those things don't work as easy as you think. Basically you just install the switch, plug it into your static system like any other unit and leave the other side open.

My 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

Sitting just below the flap & dimmer switches.
35kikwg.jpg

Guess I am over thinking this. :)

I hadn't even thought about not venting to the cabin air. But during my search I now know there are heated petot tubes with a static port. I won't be doing this. I am flying an RV not a Lear jet.:p

But now that I have this nice alt static toggle switch, where do I mount it? On the panel or under the dash? I guess that is up to me.

I have had only one instance of a plugged static port, and it was because of bugs. I have absolutely no intention of ever flying near freezing conditions that would cause the static port to becomes blocked. And there is no way I am going to break the glass on my EFIS. :D

One benefit of having alt static is for troubleshooting. I was having auto pilot oscillations in pitch during any turn which went away when I used the alternate static source. Proved that the problem was with the static source on the pitot tube. The external static source is now in the Van's standard location. There may be other instances where it can help in troubleshooting.

Jeremy Constant

Guess I am over thinking this. :)

I hadn't even thought about not venting to the cabin air. But during my search I now know there are heated petot tubes with a static port. I won't be doing this. I am flying an RV not a Lear jet.:p

My 6A has one. They were real cheap at the time I bought it. Now they're close to 10X as much. It's worked well, though. In the meantime, I added the Van's static ports on the rear, for the altitude A/P. Have a line going forward to the panel, for a future alternate.

L.Adamson

Here is where I have installed mine on the panel.

DSC_6148 by bavafa1, on Flickr

You can see it on the far left side with a protective cover. As the cover is closed, the switch is automatically closed as well. This is all within easy reach and observation that can not be left open by accident.

DSC_6147 by bavafa1, on Flickr

If you build your system with the quick-connect fittings (like Stein sells), it is really simple to put in a "T" and add a line with a plug on the end. This serves two purposes - it gives the technician a place to plug in his test rig for the Biennial tests, and it gives you a plug you can pull off to get alternate static air from the cabin in flight. Really simple - ties it up under the lip of the panel. All our planes are done that way.

Paul

Another take

If you build your system with the quick-connect fittings (like Stein sells), it is really simple to put in a "T" and add a line with a plug on the end. This serves two purposes - it gives the technician a place to plug in his test rig for the Biennial tests, and it gives you a plug you can pull off to get alternate static air from the cabin in flight. Really simple - ties it up under the lip of the panel. All our planes are done that way.

Paul

I am doing what Paul proposed, to disconnect these things you have to push in the ring then pull the line out. I got the idea of using a section of aluminum tube over the static line, you pull on the tube and this compresses the ring and removes the quick connect at the same time. I still need to cap the fitting and tether the fitting to the aluminum tube. This will be great access for checks and trouble shooting.

Cheers

3ubf4.jpg

Redundant?

Are we required to have an alt static source? The experimental Pitts I fly doesn't.

Not required. I do like the switch though, because you can flip it and make the VSI bounce as confirmation its working. Of course, an open hose is pretty good confirmation too.

Not required

Are we required to have an alt static source? The experimental Pitts I fly doesn't.

I am putting this in as a away to access the static system for testing but it will also make a nice alternate source if I have really bad luck and find my two ports are blocked. I realize a very poor pre-flight (not seeing ports blocked) or a poor decision to fly into icing would cause two ports to be blocked.

cheers