NYTOM

Well Known Member
Those new built in wing tip LED's sure are nice but has anybody out there tried to adapt a automotive LED to fit the thousands of us who already have the Grimes/ Whelen type standard navigation light fixture. There's many different type bulb replacements available ( see www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm or www.ledlight.com/LZAuto.aspx )and I'm going to be Experimental and try a few to see if I can come up with anything doable without any modification to the light fixture itself so you could end up with a inexpensive plug & play affair. Just wondering if anybody has traveled down this road?

Tom,

You would need to make sure that any such LED bulb replacement produces at least as much light as the original bulb, and that it sends it out in a similar pattern such that it still meets the TSO requirements for a position light.

I doubt that you will be able to find an LED bulb that can produce enough light and dissipate its heat at the same time in a screw in bulb form factor. I also suspect that the radiation pattern will be different enough that it won't meet the TSO requirements when installed in place of a halogen bulb.

Dean Wilkinson
AeroLEDs LLC