Craig

Well Known Member
During the condition inspection, I couldn't help but notice the alternate air door hanging down from the air intake. It has five pop rivets and a screw/nutplate holding it in position. All five of the pop rivets failed. I replaced them with #8 countersunk screws and steel locknuts.

PUt a backup ring on the inside

Yes, I don't like the alternate air door just riveted to the fiberglass. I always put a backup ring on the inside and pro-seal it to the fiberglass and proseal over the rivets.

Craig, and everyone else. Please listen up here, despite my tough stance this is something I have been through and have strong opinions on.

Below is the result of a temporaty repair with a small fastener, after the rivets pulled through, and then the fastener pulled through.....and was sucked THROUGH THE ENGINE :eek::eek::eek: Yes that is exactly what happened during a ground run.

Damage to Cyl 1 when a small fastener hits the plugs, killing it dead, and bouncing around in the cylinder for only a fraction of a second. We estimate for only a few strokes before out the exhaust (at 2700 RPM).

1298436835907_zps8a53e023.png

photo-7_zps300c7987.jpg

The result was a fabricated perfectly dimensioned air box and no fasteners except the door, which we are happy with because it will not tear off.

IMG_1045_zps40fb610a.jpg

IMG_1046_zpsca8a0cfd.jpg

IMG_1047_zps910a2f39.jpg

IMG_1048_zps6b26bb0b.jpg

Hope that helps, but folks I would suggest that VANS need to fix this as we are not the only ones, and it is worthy of a Service Bulletin. An Aluminium fab air box would not cost more than a few bucks over the fibreglass one.

Alternate Air Box

Mine pop rivets went south after 80 hrs. Made an aluminum ring for the inside and the used solid #4 rivets. I would suggest that anyone who has this alt air inlet inspect before further flight.