RayA

I'm leaning toward alodining as it doesn't add weight and seems relatively easy compared to primer. However, dealing with hexavalent chromium in my house seems like a bad idea. Has anyone looked at having their parts done for them at a metal shop and how much that would cost?

Frankly I'd rather have someone else do the messy chemical stuff, not just for my own (hopefully) cancer-free future but disposal headaches, etc.

Erin Brockovich keeps coming to mind when I think of DIYing it..

I have used a company in Greensboro several times. Websearch alodine in Greensboro and you should find it. I bring them a bunch of parts in the morning and the are ready and wrapped in paper by the early afternoon.

A few facts about Alodine

Alodine is a "conversion coating", which etches/converts the aluminum for better primer/paint adhesion. It does offer some protection in its self, but is not an equivelant finish to primer. I work with it every day at my day job, and with some gloves, and open air environment its not a crazy bad chemical. It can be applied by dipping, brushing or wiping with a rag. Importantly, water rinse and dry after application. My RV-4 is alodined and primed,inside and out, with epoxy primer thinned to a very light almost see through coat.I am a corrosion prevention "freak",so I took the extra steps.

I alodined my -4 parts prior to painting and used outside services (plating houses) for most of it. I batched parts to the largest extent possible and delivered boxes of parts to local houses. I typically paid a $75-$100 lot charge. A lot might be all the ribs for a wing, a bunch of skins, etc. I still did many random parts at home, but only when I needed the part prior to my next lot. Some shops even primed for me. When I start my next plane, I will definitely again have parts alodined and primed.

Good luck,