macrafic

Well Known Member
I see a lot of info on priming the insides of the push tubes. How about alodining? The Alodine 1201 instructions indicate that the alodine can be combined in a 1/3 - 2/3 combination with water and used as an immersion. I'm thinking that I would clean out the push tube nicely, cap an end, fill a bit over half of the tube with the alodine solution, then cap the remaining end.. Let the tube stand on end for 5 minutes, turn it upside down to get the other side, then drain and rinse.

Anybody see and disadvantages to this vs priming?

Do both! I did.

I also installed my ends whilst the epoxy primer was wet, so they're kind of glued in now with the primer! (as are also the rivets) :D

I dunno whether it was worth it in the long run, but it made me feel good!

I shot a load of Corrosion X in there and rolled them around to make sure that it got a good coating. The only problem is that the stuff has a stong smell and I have a big nose...

I like that Alodine idea. Wish I'd thought of it about ten tubes back. Epoxy over Alodine sounds even better. Having seen a few antique wing struts that have gone "permeable", I'm kinda spooky about sealed tubes. The good news is that most of us would die of old age before even an unprimed one would corrode out.

An excellent idea. For the truly weight conscious you could skip even painting the outside if you wanted.

One thing a lot of people do incorrectly is to use an etching (Wash) primer over Alodine. Epoxy priimer over Alodine is OK, an etching primer over the Alodinie (which itself "etches") is a bad idea. If you did this and topcoated you will likely have paint adhesion problems down the road.

Alodine is used a a corrosion preventaive and final coating on a lot of things like electronic chassis, etc. in military applications. Its not all that scratch resistant but the inside of the tubes would not face that issue.

Be sure to rinse the residue off before it dries though. Lots of fresh water flushed through the tube with a hose should do it.

The last tubes I alodined were for the Cozy MKIV. I made an immersion tube out of 1-1/4" PVC, capped one end and had a screw in sewer plug on the other. Worked really well.