MElstien

Well Known Member
Hello,

Please, no primer wars here. I have made my decision, now I am just asking a technical question.

I have an old QB kit that had some very mild surface corrosion on some parts. I have used alodine before on this build and I would like to alodine the parts now. The floor boards for instance, already have nutplates on them and some angles.

My plan is to clean and dip into IC-33, rinse with water and dip them in Alodine 1200S for the proper time. Is there any problem with doing that with steel parts riveting on? I think a good rinse after to remove alodine from creases and joints may be required.

Any other known issues?

Yes, I use protection and recover every bit of alodine, knowing it is nasty stuff. I also plan on visiting SanChem this coming week while I am in downtown Chicago on business. I may pick some up and do some testing.

Thank You

The IC-33 is a bigger risk. Entrapped phosphoric acid will definitely cause issues down the road if not rinsed and neutralized thoroughly.
Most corrosion under paint happens along a seam for a reason.
I would mechanically clean it and touch up with an alodine pen or spot apply the alodine (chromic acid). Entrapped chromic acid is much less problematic than phosphoric acid.