Bevan

Well Known Member
Is Alodine a shipable product or harzardous material. Where is the best place to buy (price/convenience)? Where to buy locally in western Canada?

Bevan

Is Alodine a shipable product or harzardous material. Where is the best place to buy (price/convenience)? Where to buy locally in western Canada?

Bevan

Shippable and hazardous........
You may want to check to see if Eldorado Chemical can ship to Canada or have a local distributor. I purchased it in powder form, then mixed with water. It's significantly less expensive.

Their product is called Dorado Kote 1 Conversion Coating, Chromate

Alodine has been de-regulated for ground shipments, and ships on the ground as ORM-D, rather than hazardous materials. This applies to quarts and gallons.

Thiswas done by the US DOT, so Canadian regulations may be different.

Alodine has been de-regulated for ground shipments, and ships on the ground as ORM-D, rather than hazardous materials. This applies to quarts and gallons.

Thiswas done by the US DOT, so Canadian regulations may be different.

Hey Dan, welcome aboard, first post congrats!

Thanks, Mike.

You'll find that many items that used to require Hazmat shipping are now eligible to be shipped ORM-D for ground shipments.

Paint and Paint Related Material UN1263, Adhesives UN1133, Tars UN1199, and Resin solution UN1866 have all been reclassified to allow you to ship up to 5L (1.3 gal ) in each inside container under Special Provision 149 of the CFR's for hazmat shipping.

So, at least in the US, these items are only classified as hazmat for air shipments.

This is a great forum.. I hope I can add something of value once in a while.

alodine in western canada

I buy mine at Acklands/Grainger Autobody Supply

They call it Dupont 226S.

IIRC, $26 CDN for a quart liquid to use undiluted.

You probably have already considered the toxicity of the product and it's disposal.