Are you asking about mixed Alodine or just the powder before mixing it ?
For what it’s worth – I had some 10 year old mixed stuff – about 5 liters – It was kept in a sealed plastic container – It still had a good nice golden tint – All I did was to shake the mixture about before pouring it out in my dip tank. Put a few Alu parts in … 3 to 5 min later .. came out with a nice light golden tint.
The solution will give of some toxic fumes over time – so I did the work outside – also work better if the mixture is 20Deg C.

OK, seriously, to the OP.

I had a gallon that I poured (75%) into some PVC tubes and seal from the air. The 15% went into a clear, but sealed, container but did not get used. The 15% went bad, got dark and would not work over a year, but I used the batch in the PVC tube many many times and slowly diminished in performance. The last 10% in the original container was like new after all that time.

No explanation, but my very limited experience. I mix from powder now.

I put my left over Alodine in the Refrigerator. That kept it out of the sunlight and the cool seemed to make it last for a long time. I don't know the total time it is ongoing. 3+ Yr now.
Dave

Alodine is extremely toxic

The solution will give of some toxic fumes over time ?

Alodine is a combination of Hydrofluoric acid and hexavalent chrome. Hexavalent chrome is a really bad chemical. Remember Pacific Gas and Electric and Erin Brockavich. Be very careful with storage and disposal. Read the MSDS on the material. Do not dispose of it down the drain. You could go to jail for that action.

Just a warning!
Tyler
A&P

The solution will give of some toxic fumes over time ?

Alodine is a combination of Hydrofluoric acid and hexavalent chrome. Hexavalent chrome is a really bad chemical. Remember Pacific Gas and Electric and Erin Brockavich. Be very careful with storage and disposal. Read the MSDS on the material. Do not dispose of it down the drain. You could go to jail for that action.

Just a warning!
Tyler
A&P

I am aware that this is an older thread and I am also wondering whether I should even publicly ask this question.

Anyway, though, Is there any practical way to collect and dispose the rinse water? These are relatively large amounts, particularly from the rinsing of parts which don't fit into a bucket.

I found this post by an EAA chapter http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/corrosion/more.htm in which they suggest to let the water evaporate and to mix the remaining powder into cement. I guess this works for the original Alodine solution, though probably not so much for contaminated rinse water!?

Take it to Oklahoma and have it injected? I try to minimize it. The pvc tube for long parts helps a bunch because you conserve. Small parts I put in a ziploc and a minimum splash from the jug. You can slosh it around and watch it. Use it a couple times if you're careful with the bag. I don't really rinse small parts so much. I let them dry and wipe the powder residue off with a damp paper towel after awhile. Then the towels go in the ziploc until the alodine is soaked up. Then I, uh uh..well anyway.

There is another similar product by MacDermid called Iridite NCP. It doesn't contain the hexavalent chrome and is to Mil Spec, so wash up and disposal should be simpler and less angst ridden !

Not used it myself but seems to have a very good write up thus far.

Anyone got experience ?

From NCP is clear on application and significantly more expensive that Irridite 14-2. Provided proper care /disposal is undertaken with 14-2 your ok. Some of the electroplating you tube clips of heavy chrome plating is just down right scary, not to mention some amateur aircraft builder clips as well.