Mark Jackson

Patron
I have a gallon of Alodine 1201 I used to coat the wing ribs. They acquired a nice gold tint. It then sat in the bottle in a box (to keep it dark) for eight months. I then used it to etch some more parts. These parts came out without the gold tint. If I look at them closely, the surface looks like it has been treated, it is not as shiney and there is a blueish tint. After painting with epoxy primer, the primer seems to stick very well as I have man handled them without ill effect.

Does the 1201 keep it's conversion properties after sitting in the dark? I am loath to try to buy $700 worth of powder but also don't want to keep spending $50 a pop for water from Spruce every time I get ready to prime a batch of parts.

Thanks,

Mark Jackson

Mark,
This has been discussed before on VAF if you want to search.
From what I understand, the blue is from salts that form in the solution. Yes, it does lose it's kick.
That's what is nice about the powder as you can add a bit to freshen it up.
Too bad Pegasus Racing quit selling the small cans of powder.

I have a gallon of Alodine 1201 I used to coat the wing ribs. They acquired a nice gold tint. It then sat in the bottle in a box (to keep it dark) for eight months. I then used it to etch some more parts. These parts came out without the gold tint. If I look at them closely, the surface looks like it has been treated, it is not as shiney and there is a blueish tint. After painting with epoxy primer, the primer seems to stick very well as I have man handled them without ill effect.

Does the 1201 keep it's conversion properties after sitting in the dark? I am loath to try to buy $700 worth of powder but also don't want to keep spending $50 a pop for water from Spruce every time I get ready to prime a batch of parts.

Thanks,

Mark Jackson

I stored some for a gallon in two different places. One turned nearly black and the other keep going for months, many months. The ugly one had a clear container and was not completely sealed and had few dips on it. Dark, stable temps in the original container should be good. Different alloys make the color different, and temperature makes a difference too.

How much mix do you think you will need overall? 3-5-10 gallons?

I have kept mine in liquid form and have not experienced degradation, although I am sure it has at least some. I stored it in my garage refrigerator.
Dave

Alodine Shelf life

I have kept mine in liquid form and have not experienced degradation, although I am sure it has at least some. I stored it in my garage refrigerator.
Dave

Hadn't thought of that will try it with the new gallon. Gonna call around to auto paint store to see if anyone carries it. May also talk to the aircraft paint shop on my home field to see about getting it thru them.

Dave

Hopefully this is a "chemicals only" fridge. Storing a carcinogenic chemical next to food is not recommended.