jiminy

Hi Guys,
I want to pick up some alodine powder while in Oshkosh next week.. does anyone know where I can pick some up and avoid the hazmat shipping charges to Canada?

thanks !

Powdered Alodine

About 5 years ago I looked into powdered alodine in attempt to do the same to avoid hazmat fees. If I recall the powder once opened does not store well as it takes on moisture so the shelf life is relatively short. Also had a problem buying in small quantities. I went right to the manufacturer, Heinkel, and followed the supply chain in attempt to find a way to buy it only to decide the liquid is the best when all is considered. Aircraft Spruce was the cheapest last time I bought at about $12/gallon 4 years ago with 4 gallons to a case. I split a case with another builder to soften the blow of the hazmat charge.

Dick DeCramer
Northfield, MN
RV6 Flying 140hrs
Alodined throughout

EL Dorado Chemical Co

www.eldoradochem.com

You'll have to call or email them, but if I remember correctly, I got 5 lbs of powder for about $110 including shipping and hazmat charges (shipped UPS). They call theirs DoradoKote 1 or something like that.

It's not the hazmat fees that really get you, it's the fact that the stuff you buy in liquid form is 80% water. I've not had any problems with my powder absorbing water, I've had it for 2 years and it works just like it did the day I bought it.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

PJSeipel said:
EL Dorado Chemical Co

www.eldoradochem.com

You'll have to call or email them, but if I remember correctly, I got 5 lbs of powder for about $110 including shipping and hazmat charges (shipped UPS). They call theirs DoradoKote 1 or something like that.
Yep, call/email them. I did 4 months ago and the minimum had increased to 10lbs, so I went with the liquid form since I probably couldn't ever use that much powder.

For the past 4 years, I have been doing Alodine demonstrations at the Sheet Metal Workshop at Sun N' Fun. This year, I accidently left my powdered Iridite 14-2 (competitor to Alodine) at home. After several panic phone calls, I learned that the auto paint store in Lakeland carried liquid and powdered Alodine.
I purchased two 4oz containers of the powdered version. The manufacturer is Canadian. They have distributers across Canada and in 4 states here in the USA. For more info go to:

http://www.endura.ca/adobe/canadalist.pdf

http://www.endura.ca/adobe/uslist.pdf

You might want to check out your local auto paint stores before making things harder than need be.
FYI, Endura does not list Alodine 1200 as a product on their web site, but they do manufacture and distribute it.

Regarding comments regarding storing powdered Alodine, I still have 2 pounds which I've stored for over 5 years. I just mixed some of it up last month and it's still good. Keep it inside 2 zip lock bags, one inside the other. It will be just fine. I live in SE Florida. There aren't many places on earth that are hotter and more humid than here.
Charlie Kuss

FlyerJumper said:
Yep, call/email them. I did 4 months ago and the minimum had increased to 10lbs, so I went with the liquid form since I probably couldn't ever use that much powder.
Bummer. Guess I'll stop sending business their way. Although, it probably is quite a bit of trouble for them to repackage into the smaller quantities given how toxic it is.

PJ