John-G

Well Known Member
Knowing fuselage assembly was going to take place during the winter months and parts priming would not be possible, last fall I went through all the fuselage parts dimpling and countersinking as necessary then priming and in some cases painting.

At that time, the longerons were formed, primed and painted but not match drilled. I have just match drilled and countersunk the longerons and was wondering ? would using an Alodine pen on the longeron?s countersinks offer a level of protection to make it worth while purchasing? My thinking is the Alodine may add a small level of corrosion protection I would not have otherwise.

Get the pen or forget it, rivet and move on?

The epoxy primer I?m using suggests minimum temperatures of 59 degrees and judging by the way this winter has been here thus far, don?t suppose that will be happening until way after spring thaw.

What I did

I am in the business and have access to the pens, which are awesome in my opinion, as the are neat and easy. It will provide a better prep for primer, and is standard procedure, but not the end of the day if you don't do it. Just as easy to get a quart of the liquid alodine and use a Q tip to apply. The pens don't call for rinse, while the liquid bulk product does...but you can rinse with Q tip also.