Mark Jackson

Patron
I have previously applied alodine with a brush and the parts came out with a light gold tint. I was able to immerse these parts and they came out very dark after only a minute soak time. Are they supposed to be this dark?

Mark Jackson

worklog_image_popup.php

Mark,
Immersion is the preferred method for applying Alodine. The color you got is fine. FYI, it does not need to be that dark, but that color is OK. FYI, it appears that the one piece of aluminum angle [6061-T6?] did not "take" very well. It is my experience that you must immerse 6061-T6 parts 2 to 3 times as long as 2024-T3 parts.
You can shorten up the time you immerse your parts. Time is dependent on temperature and how old or new your Alodine solution is. Chemical reactions like heat.
Charlie

Yeah, looks okay except for the front one that looks like it didn't take. The extruded stuff always comes out darker. Seems like coarser grains & sanded surfaces always "take" darker than alclad. If you hit that one with 220 grit and alodine again it will probably match the others. Might have something on the surface blocking the alodine, the drilled holes went gold.