prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm thinking of using Alodine 1001 to protect the inside skins of the wings and fuse, those that won't get primed or painted (I prime only ribs and mating surfaces, using a self-etching primer). The recommended preparation for Alodine 1001 is Alumiprep 33.
Does this seem like a reasonable way to protect the unprimed and unpainted insides of skins? Or is it overkill? Or would a polish be better?

I have read you shouldn't use self etch primer over alodine so you would have the extra step of sanding the areas under the ribs and anywhere you are going to prime.

Phil,
I am sure this will create some :eek::(, I would STAY AWAY from "Self etching primer", I have been the AC painting business for many years and have painted 500+ airplanes. I can tell horror stories about "SEP". The old and proven method of Etch and alodyne provides the best results. Now I am sure there are guys who will say "I have used brand XYZ self etching primer and have great results. CONGRATS. I have had MANY failures using "SEP" and very few using etch/alodyne. For what it's worth.
Dick

To clarify...
I don't plan on using alodine under any areas where I will use SEP. It's too late for me to "stay away" from SEP, because I've already used it under all mating surfaces, and on ribs and small parts stuff.
Where I am thinking of using Alodine 1001 now is on the insides of my big skins after assembly, where I don't plan to paint or prime.
What I'm wondering about now is the process... I will use Alumiprep to clean the surface, but should I scuff it with scotchbrite first? I suspect the answer is NO if I don't plan to paint or prime over top of the Alodine 1001 (Alodine 1001 is meant for bare aluminum planes), but just want to confirm this.