uuacallis

Good Evening,
Great news on the building front for me, I have been able to get some heads down time and have completed the riveting of the skin on the empennage kit and am on the final steps to assemble it together and put it into storage so I can make room for the wing kit.

The question I Have is on Page 11-02 I am attaching the V-Stab to the tail cone with 12 bolts (4 in front, 8 in back).

Is there going to be any point in the future where I am taking these off as part of the build? I ask because I was planning on using Loctite on the threads, but if I am taking it on and off, I want to wait until the last time I have to do that.

Also, if I am completely off base in using Loctite I would like to know that too.

Lastly, should I go ahead and torque them to their specified torque now, or again, is this something that should be done later.

thanks,
Adam

I wouldn't mind a dollar for every time I thought I'd bolted things up `for the last time'. Could probably pay for a second rudder by now. As for Loctite, the plans don't require it, so there's no compelling reason to use it ... but it's your airplane.

I haven't Built an RV12, But...

Nearly every bolt in the RV kits is mated with either an all-metal locknut, a nylon locknut, a prevailing torque nut plate, or a castellated nut with cotter pin - locktite is not needed and would only serve to muddle the torque specs. Build on.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Good Evening,
Great news on the building front for me, I have been able to get some heads down time and have completed the riveting of the skin on the empennage kit and am on the final steps to assemble it together and put it into storage so I can make room for the wing kit.

The question I Have is on Page 11-02 I am attaching the V-Stab to the tail cone with 12 bolts (4 in front, 8 in back).

Is there going to be any point in the future where I am taking these off as part of the build? I ask because I was planning on using Loctite on the threads, but if I am taking it on and off, I want to wait until the last time I have to do that.

Also, if I am completely off base in using Loctite I would like to know that too.

Lastly, should I go ahead and torque them to their specified torque now, or again, is this something that should be done later.

thanks,
Adam

Just my 2 cents....it is easier to work on fuse/tail cone with it off (as you can lay it on it's side) for some of the assembly. Wait till finish kit.

Why store it assembled???? Much less room needed without doing that. I hung all the parts for awhile from basement rafters. Also had it painted in pieces at an auto shop, everything was already painted when the plane was finally assembled. For pics of that process and the basement storage, see this link. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=67760 You will also find it more awkward to mate the tail to the fuselage if the tail feathers are attached.