Finley

Weight = 916.20 Lbs. Balanced = well sorta!
427.4 on the left main and 436.8 on the right main. 52 lbs. on the tailwheel.
Anyone ever have 9.4 Lb. difference between the main wheel weight?

RV-4, O-360, Sterba prop. 998#, 471# left main, 471# right main. That was before I changed the starter from a Landol to a Sky-Tec NL. I expect it will still be very close to those numbers....

Are the scales good? Try swapping them and see if the difference follows the scale. If not, should be able to find the culprit.

Bird

Mine Did

My -4, finished in 1989, had a 10 lb imbalance on the LH main gear. I always attributed the differential to the location of the oil cooler + oil wt. (off #4 rear baffle) and didn't worry too much about it. It seems like at the time, I polled other -4 drivers I knew and found similar differentials with a lot of them. Flew the airplane for 1700+ hrs. before selling it and never noticed any untoward handling characteristics.

Just my experience - yours may vary.

HFS

No Gas.
Might have an extra bucking bar in there! (just kidding Stephen)
My magnetometer is in the rt wingtip, along with the extra wire and OAT probe. Hardly think that would be more than a pound.

Heated pitot out there adding some weight maybe? Landing/taxi light in both wings or just one? Uneven ground? Just some ideas you probably already considered.

No Gas.
Might have an extra bucking bar in there! (just kidding Stephen)
My magnetometer is in the rt wingtip, along with the extra wire and OAT probe. Hardly think that would be more than a pound.

This is an interesting problem, and it made me curious. So I sketched out a lateral schematic and did a quickie moment balance analysis:

rv4-lat-mass.gif

The following table shows an lateral moment equilibrium. The neat thing about working problems like this is that you can choose any reference point, and as you can see from the diagram I chose the left wheel.

Just as an example, I assumed that the magnetometer weighs 1/2 lb, and that the wire that serves it also weighs 1/2 lb. Of course, those weights are estimates open to debate, but let them serve for this example.

---------------mass-----arm-----moment
Wire-----------0.5------107-----53.5
Magnetometer---0.5------166-----83
Totals---------1---------------136.5

As you can see, the total moment of the magnetometer and wire, measured from the left wheel, is 136.5 in-lbs. To find the force required at the right wheel to keep the system in balance, we divide that moment by the arm of the right wheel, 74" (again, not exact, but it serves this example):

137.5 in-lbs / 74" = 1.84 lbs

To finish off, we assume that all the forces acting on the magnetometer and wire are in some sort of balance, that those items aren't rotating around their axes or levitating or sinking. Since the parts weigh 1 lb, and the force applied at the left wheel is 1.84 lbs, we know that the force at the right wheel must be 1 lb - 1.84 lb = -.84 lb, or else the parts would be accelerating upward and maybe end up going through the roof. The difference between the forces at the right and left wheels is 1.84 - -.84, which simplifies to 1.84 + .84 = 2.68 lbs.

This example shows that adding about 1 lb of stuff relatively far out in the right wing results in about a 2.7 lbs difference between the two scales. That doesn't account for all the difference measured in the case at hand, but it likely accounts for a lot of it.

(Note: No 0.8 correction factors were harmed in the production of this moment balance analysis.)

Thanks, Bob K.

(Note: No 0.8 correction factors were harmed in the production of this moment balance analysis.)
:D You're still my hero. Bob.
(I have a ~2 lb difference between left and right mainmounts, right is heavier. Trim servo in rt aileron, Duckworks landing light in left outboard LE).

Last edited:
An obvious point, but if it's not completely level laterally you will see quite a difference in weights. Done that.

I took a guess at the wheel spacing, but at 4 foot wheel spacing, one wheel would have to be .5 inches inboard to make a 10 lb difference. At 6 foot wheel spacing you would need a wheel .8 inches inboard to cause a 10 lb difference.

edit....and good job keeping it light! 916 is great.

Last edited:
DMADD- yep the canopy was closed. Still got your 4?

Jim- We worked hard to get it level in all the right places!

CATPart- Thanks, I was surprised at 916-
I'll ck the wheel spacing from center, Right main arm = 61.5, Lt = 61.25.

At this point I'm not to worried about the difference. Should I be?