crabandy

Well Known Member
I like to lean back (slouch) when I'm driving or flying, in the wife's carolla I'm practically looking out the rear windows in the front seat. I'm only 5'10'' but I put my rudder pedals all the way foward and have been semi contemplating how to change the stock seat reclining. I've seen a lot of side by side RVs with the hinge flap on the seat back just removed for more reclining/room. I'm prepping the remaining unpainted interior items for paint and decided on modifying the stock seat back thingies so I could retain some adjustability.
I cut the existing brace with a hacksaw,
92A1512A-90C7-4176-A3B4-5A4E15C40201-10958-00000544DF17EEAD_zps270a2654.jpg

Smoothed up the edges and riveted it together. Note the flush rivets on the underneath side for clearance the bent flange opposite the hinge is on bottom to fit the catches on the cross brace on the fuse.
AAA66981-78A5-4FB8-AC84-0B05CE56798D-10958-00000544F2830F4C_zpsf95f47d2.jpg

I shortened the stock brace about 1 3/8 and it still keeps 1/4-3/8 (hinge position on the bottom changes the geometry) distance between the seat and support.
68DA0804-CFE4-4561-A7A9-8B4D7DB179A1-10958-0000054503A4A0F6_zpsd7b385c6.jpg

I am building the fuse and did the seat back mod also, so glad I did, the cool part about it, being removable.

Just a FWIW:

Van and many others have stated that for many people who seem to have problems landing the airplane the very first thing to try is to make sure that there is as little room as practical between the top of your head and the canopy; get your eyes as high as possible in the cabin. This has apparently fixed the vast majority of problems landing the plane. If you're planning to re-adjust the seat back height prior to landing, remember that it dramatically affects your geometry on the rudder/brakes.

I would suggest that when you get around to doing the rudder and brake geometry, set it up with the seat back in the landing/eyes high position and then use the layed back position for the cruise portion.

Just a FWIW:

Van and many others have stated that for many people who seem to have problems landing the airplane the very first thing to try is to make sure that there is as little room as practical between the top of your head and the canopy; get your eyes as high as possible in the cabin. This has apparently fixed the vast majority of problems landing the plane. If you're planning to re-adjust the seat back height prior to landing, remember that it dramatically affects your geometry on the rudder/brakes.

I would suggest that when you get around to doing the rudder and brake geometry, set it up with the seat back in the landing/eyes high position and then use the layed back position for the cruise portion.

I'd have to agree with that. I copied a mod I've seen others do on the -4, putting the seat back vertical rails behind the roll bar cross tube for more comfort on cross countries. I definitely have more 'issues' when landing if I don't lean up & forward during the flare.

Charlie

I'd have to agree with that. I copied a mod I've seen others do on the -4, putting the seat back vertical rails behind the roll bar cross tube for more comfort on cross countries. I definitely have more 'issues' when landing if I don't lean up & forward during the flare.

Charlie

Anywhere I can see a photo of that, trying to imagine how that works...

I'll try to get you a pic if I can get back down to the hangar tomorrow. The two vertical angles get the forward-facing legs 'notched' at the top, leaving just the back legs, the front of which will contact the back of the cross bar. A pair of hand-made 'adel clamps' (made of stronger material than a standard adel clamp) wrap around the cross tube and are attached to the top horizontal angle of the seat back using -3 bolts. The result is about 1 1/2 inches more tilt at the top of the seat. The cushion thickness keeps the cross tube from hitting your shoulders/neck. The notches were required in my plane to clear the canopy's stiffener rib, which just clears the roll bar anyway. Without the notches, the rib would hit the top of the seat. *Much* more comfortable, at least for me, in cruise flight.

I'll try to get you a pic if I can get down to the hangar tomorrow.

Charlie

Here ya go:
4seatback_zps033399e2.jpg

Last edited: