MrNomad

Well Known Member
Hi, I recognize this question is a little offbeat but my 40 hours are done and I'd like to take the 9A for a long trip. The problem is allergies and the Tucson spring. I refuse to fly while taking antihistamines which dull your senses.

Does anyone have any information about the affects of pollen and such once you're at 8500 feet or higher? In other words, will the allergy get worse or better once we're at altitude?

I'd love to take a trip but I'm NOT about to break my new toy.

Thanks.
Barry
Tucson

Last edited:
Allergies

My experience has been the clear air at altitude clears my head. BUT, if you have any sinus pressure from your allergies, stay out of the air. Altitude will make you feel like your head is going to explode. (Don't ask me how I know.):eek:

I took a flying job in Kansas back in the 70's and found I had an allergy to something that was growing in the local area. Driving into town my eyes were watering so bad I could hardly drive the car. But when I was flying, I had absolutely no symptoms above about a 1000 feet. When I landed, it would start again. Lasted all summer.

This freakin' wind in Tucson today doesn't help the allergy situation any but, I suspect that the farther you get from the source of the pollen, dust, mold etc that triggers your allergies the lower the concenration of those allergens and the less severe your hayfever will be. I.e. since the pollen etc originate near the surface the higher you go the less of it you will encounter. Just a guess.

That said, my experience has been that the real problem is the congestion that goes along with the allergies making a trip to higher altitudes uncomfortable or even painful. My goal generally is to relieve the congestion; not the allergy. So, I don't take anti-histamines (like Benadryl which is also used as an over the counter sleeping aid :eek:). I take a decongestant like Sudafed which is non-drowsy.

• YMMV.
  • Be careful taking these things if you have high blood pressure.
  • I'd also suggest trying it on the ground a few times before you go flying with it.
  • This post should not be construed as medical advice. When in doubt check with your doctor.

I live not too far from Tucson and can appreciate the misery. I fly for a living and use Allegra D and it does the job for me, with no side effects. It is on the FAA approved list.
I find that flying improves my allergy symptom.
Also, a wise old AME once told me to always carry one of those decongestant nasal sprays in my flight bag, not to use regularly, but to have just in case you get a sinus block while flying and your head starts to cave in on descent. It has saved my bacon a couple of times.

but my 40 hours are done and I'd like to take the 9A for a long trip.
Thanks. Barry
Tucson

So, I guess I am the only one to notice you have achieved freedom:D

I agree with the decongestant not antihistamine comments, FWIW.

Enjoy your new found freedom.

Claritin, Allegra and Singulair are all non-drowsy inducing.

Any with the suffix "D" also have Sudafed which is a stimulant and may also dry out your system. For me, Sudafed does no good and has adverse side effects.

Problem with meds may be that once you get to altitude your nasal passages may get too dry.

You can wear a pollen mask for an hour or 2 before flying. May look funny, but it filters out the allergens & lets your head clear. Then when you get to altitude, you will be above the junk and are good until you land again. We have lots of pollen in western Oregon & I have seen several people wearing a pollen mask while mowing grass.

I live not too far from Tucson and can appreciate the misery. I fly for a living and use Allegra D and it does the job for me, with no side effects. It is on the FAA approved list.
I find that flying improves my allergy symptom.
Also, a wise old AME once told me to always carry one of those decongestant nasal sprays in my flight bag, not to use regularly, but to have just in case you get a sinus block while flying and your head starts to cave in on descent. It has saved my bacon a couple of times.

I use Allegra-D also. I couldn't survive the Savannah Pollen Fest without it.

Astelin is not FAA approved,if you are a member of AOPA there is a tool to search all the drugs to find out what is approved and what is not,

I just go get shots every week ;)

Air is drier at altitude - this will affect you if you have sinus / allergy problems. Sudafed helps.

In general, you won't have the same pollen / allergan / dust problems you do at the surface - the air is cleaner, but by no means "clean" unless you're somewhere off the Washington coast. The NW corner of Washington is where we get the cleanest air in the US - that's why we sample there to get nice backgrounds.

TODR

Honey Anyone....

I also suffer from allergies. I have tried different drugs with little help. Singular works best for me. I forgot to take the Singular the other day and a co worker noticed I was somewhat congested. He asked if I suffered from allergies. So I explained my symptoms. He told me that he used to do the same thing until someone told him this little trick. He now buys honey from his local area and takes a tablespoon a day. The theory is that the honey has the alergens from its local area and boost the immune system against them after a couple weeks of use. He no longer takes any kind of drug, just some honey everyday. This has worked for him for the past two years. I can't speak first hand of these results. I am looking for honey, but have yet to find any that is made local. Good Luck!

Bee pollen..

....is another potential aid. I keep bees and sometimes collect pollen. The honey a day is good advice but if you can locate a nearby beekeeper who collects local pollen, half a teaspoon a day can do wonders if it is from the same flowers/plants that cause your misery,

Regards,

Allergy Season +

Solutions Immune Enhancement has a long list of FDA approved, low cost, and effective products, including Allergy Season +, which should be of interest to nearly everyone. I have used several of them for several years with excellent results, as have many others. They are just the micro-nutrients that we all need formulated as intra-oral sprays for quick and efficient absorption into the blood stream.

The products may be ordered online directly, or you can sign up as a distributor and qualify for a discount if you'd like to distribute them. This is NOT a GET-RICH scheme, which is one of the principle reasons I like the company and their products. This company's principle focus is about helping people, which appeals to my heart immensely. :)

If you do choose to sign up, I'd appreciate it if you use me as your sponsor. You don't have to, choose whomsoever you desire. I don't need the commissions for myself, but I know many good charities who could use them. I am NOT trying to sell or solicit anything from anyone. My focus is about helping people. If anyone is interested, PM me & I will give you my PIN #.

For further info, contact SolutionsIE at http://www.solutionsie.com/2/ or 1-888-234-6863 and contact Mr. Jim Phillips.

Joe Harwell
Still RV dreaming.

Living in the Willamette Valley

Which is the grass seed capital of the world I am surrounded by poor folks with allergies.

I even send some of them into the clean room here at work which seems to geive them some relief.

I don't actually suffer but I sure sympathise with those that do.

A pilot friend (with allergies) swears by the squirt in decongestant.

Cheers

Frank

NasalCrom, Underlying Physiology

Barry, NasalCrom is a nice nasal spray with no side effects, no antihistamine, no decongestant, just cromolyn sodium, I do not know the exact mechanism of action.

Be aware of Sudafed. Pseudo-ephedrine while a stimulant, can have the opposite effect, especially if you have taken a lot of it in the past. I almost pass out if I take it.

The really non-drowsy antihistamines are Loratadine (Allavert and Claritin) and newly OTC Zyrtec. However, just about any drug has the potential to make you drowsy.

I urge you to consider changing the underlying physiology leading to the allergic reactions. The hyper-immune state behind allergies is indicative of the body operating in an "alarm" or stress physiology which is associated with increased potential for inflammation in all forms, as well as increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, retinopathy, etc.

Part of my work is to help people change their physiology in an accelerated fashion using a functional medicine approach. It is kind of amazing to see lifelong allergies greatly diminish or go away completely.

I don't talk about it much on my website for legal reasons, but you can get an inkling about what I do by reading the page I wrote on detoxification.

Dr. Hans Conser, D.C.
406-595-1928
www.bozemanchiropractic.com

Not Consistently, No

I used to have annoying allergies, but one or both of the following cured them for me. I stopped drinking coffee, and I did this "liver flush" procedure http://curezone.com/cleanse/liver/huldas_recipe.asp I got this tip from a friend that's about 30 years older than I am, but in much better shape.

That liver flush is a classic, very harsh! I don't recommend it. By the way, those are probably not gallstones they picture on that website. There is a lot of bile coming out though, which can be very helpful.

Your experience of cleansing and then experiencing remission of allergies is very common. If I start sneezing a lot, I automatically think "Time to detox!"

Hans