Rick_Luck

I just started annualing my RV9A today and when I pulled the front wheel pant (new style pant bracket) I noticed the threads in the front fork for the allen screws, which capture the pant brackets and the tow bar goes over are deteriorating. I remember using locktite on them last year because they'd loosened up a bit over the prior year. Now there's a pastey residue in the threads which is aluminum powder and locktite. Has anyone else had this problem?

In researching the plans, I noticed that with the old style wheel pant brackets, in addition to a flat washer, there was also a lock washer under the allen screw. Now that the allen screw captures the new wheel pant bracket, it would be very difficult or impossible to get a lock washer in place, at least where it would do any good. The allen screws were nice and tight this year when I removed them, so the locktite did it's job but I don't want the threads to continue deteriorating.

I think the real problem is a steel allen screw inserted into the aluminum threads of the fork when the allen screw has to be removed and retightened every time the wheel pant is removed, which can be several times per year. The real solution might be a steel bushing pressed into the fork which can then be re-threaded for the allen screw. Any other thoughts or solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Rick Luck
N109RV
RV9A

The screw is plenty long for a lock washer.. I think (IIRC) it's shown on the new plans as well.. I have lock washers on mine. Actually, I had to use two flat washers to make sure the screw doesn't protrude on the other side and rip the tire..

Thread Repair Kit

I had a problem with the Allen screw threads on the aluminum nose wheel fork becoming chewed up.
I used a Recoil thread repair kit UNF 3/8-24 to insert a spring like coil which fixed the problem.
These kits are sold in some of your better hardware stores and come with the necessary tools.
Barry RV6A
Edit add kit p/n 34060

Last edited:
Thanks for the help

I ordered a thread repair kit yesterday, just to have on hand. I'll see how tight things feel when I reassemble things this year and if it feels sloppy, I'll go ahead and install the inserts. This forum is WONDERFUL. Thanks for all the help guys.

Finally the definitive reason as to the superiority of a taildragger. OK, now where in the **** do I find that smiley face?