idleup

Well Known Member
I have unsuccessfully been searching the many postings of people who have swapped the fuel tank access screws (AN515-8R8) with Stainless Steel Allen Head screws for the specific part number of the replacement screws and where to buy them. I assume it is a Allen head cap screw that is 1/2" long and 8-32 thread?

I counted that I would need 17 per side. Where do you buy them?

- Matt

http://www.mcmaster.com

Enter "socket head cap screw" in the Find box. It brings up a great graphical drill-down wizard dealie.

I used 92949A194, but some have said that 92196A194 (standard head style) works better since there's more to grab onto if the screw gets stubborn when trying to remove it.

Thanks Dan... while I am ordering from McMaster there was something else that you bought there that I also wanted to do. I think it was the screws to replace the interior screws with stainless. Do you happen to remember the part number for those? may as well combine what I can in one order... Anything else you can think of that I will want to purchase through them?

- Matt

Torx

The torx screws from Microfasteners are not as strong as the screws delivered with the kit.

This has been discussed here several times, and there are those that are comfortable using these screws on the wing tanks, and there are those that are not. I'm currently planning to use them, since my "back of the envelope" calculations show that they are much stronger than the aluminium sheet they are attaching.

I kind of figured that. If you think about the application I dont see how even non-structural screws would make a difference. I will check the archives and read some of the opinions to the contrary since you said this has been discussed before.

- Matt

idleup said:
I kind of figured that. If you think about the application I dont see how even non-structural screws would make a difference. I will check the archives and read some of the opinions to the contrary since you said this has been discussed before.

- Matt

Matt--Not sure if this is why you're asking this question to begin with, but I know a lot of people are looking for something other than a phillips head out of concern for stripping the slots. If that's you're concern, I would not worry about it. A little Boelube and/or a cordless screwdriver and it's no big deal. I've had all of my wing tank screws in and out probably 3 times so far with absolutely no issue and no stripping of the phillips head.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Steve, I will give that a try. I was actually not even originally asking about those screws. I was looking for socket head screws for the fuel tank access plates, not the skin tank screws. But the conversation migrated. The reason I would replace them is because I dont want to paint them but I think stainless would look better. I am not going to do anything right now with them.

- Matt