I see wooden desk models on ebay all the time. Search 'RV-x model'. I've also seen the -7A R/C model and a few years back there was a -6A plans set in one of the R/C magazines.

Sweet...

With this RV8 model, I may have to return to the model RC business.

As a teenager in the late '50's, I was a real RC pilot with my stick balsa model and a single tube receiver (rudder only) and single tube transmitter, I spent most of my time rebuilding my craft after each (very) short flight. One pulse for right, two for left (escapement operation), if I remember right.

I saved my weekly pay ($1) for washing cars at my Dad's service statation, 10 weeks for each unit.

Final flight was glorious...launch, full pattern around the area, then loss of control with the model destroyed while wipeing out 2 cornstalks. At least it was at our small town airport where I later gave my old Dad a ride in a C140 after I got my private ticket while a senior at the University of Missouri...I sure wish I could give him a ride in my new RV8.

RV 8 RC

Do you think, If I get good at landing that RC plane in my back yard, I will be able to land the real thing here ????????hmmm. I bet my wife would have something to say about that. Maybe a no fly zone in the yard!!!!!! Although she has done a flyby in her Airbus 320... ok it wasn't under 3,000. but i did see the Jet.

Looks like a fathers day present to me!!!!!!! It will go good with my Great Planes RV 4
I have the 70 inch Great Planes RV4 with a .91 in it and love it. It flys like my real RV, and handles great at low speeds with flaps down. It doesn't roll like this RV8 in the video, its more like a real RV, a cork screw roll. Or maybe its my pilot.

Looks familiar indeed!

Love the paint job.....:D I'm sure Randy L does too....
Yeow, looks familiar.

DR-1_624.jpg

For those that don't know the history, I was inspired by Tom's paint scheme on his RV-6 but changed the colors for my orignal RV-8 to red/gray. That's Randy Griffin's plane in the foreground and my RV-3B in the background. We both like the paint scheme on my original RV-8 so I repeated it for my RV-3B and he copied for his -8, only he'd always liked checkered tails hence his variation. We painted both these planes together in my garage, info on our web sites...
http://www.romeolima.com/Griff/
http://www.rv3works.com

Good video

They did a great job of making that model look bigger than it really is. Most models of this size don't look so close up and smooth when I try to film them as this one does.

Darn it, another project coming up, maybe?:eek:

I've been an R/C modeler for 31 years now, thanks for the info; (I think ?)

RV8 RC

Wow! That makes me want to get back in to RC flying!
Looks like a great flyer (the experienced pilot makes em all look good).

Not Big Enough

Scott Will and I have been kicking around a nearly 50% sized RV for a while now. Life has gotten in the way somewhat.

I've been working with a friend of mine to add a large RV to his line of 50% and larger RC models. We are kicking around the thought of a 7 and 8. Only have to tool one set of wings and tails that way.

If this comes to pass, how many might be interested? To get an idea of the size of these models, check out www.billhempel.com.

This past weekend, Bill Hempel gave a demo of the 50% Cub at our airport Open House. I didn't have my camera but the sight of large model hovering only feet off the ground was a crowd pleaser.

Again, if interested, let me know. FYI, the models will be ARF, (Almost Ready to Fly.)

Full circle....

It was my subscription to Model Airplane News that caused Kitplanes to send me some copies of their mag. Reading Kitplanes and attending A&P school got me into EAA and I "discovered" RVs shortly thereafter. Seeing that video almost makes me want to get back into models.......well not really.
It is cool however. I absolutely love scale RC planes and the pilot did a fantastic job of making it look realistic.
When I loose my medical - many, many years from now, I hope - I will build a 1/3 scale Spacewalker to putt around the sky with.

RC Doll

Let's see......I've got a birthday coming in early June and this model should be out in late May. Perfect! Now, if I can order it uncovered. I would hate to strip the covering off a new model.......but I will.

Last edited:
For those thinking to get back into RC, about 1-2 yrs ago they came out with 2.4 GHz radios. With one of these new ones you no longer have to worry about frequency flags or someone else shooting you down by turning on to your frequency. You just go to the field and fly and never give a thought interference again.

I love RC stuff, used to race the cars back in middle school and slowly breaking my way into Helis, got a Raptor 50 kit waiting to be put together when I return from deployment.

For those thinking to get back into RC, about 1-2 yrs ago they came out with 2.4 GHz radios. With one of these new ones you no longer have to worry about frequency flags or someone else shooting you down by turning on to your frequency. You just go to the field and fly and never give a thought interference again.

And I still have three new (now old) six channel radios in boxes from about 1993-95. Surprisingly, the batteries still have a partial charge, although I wouldn't trust them. Of course..........."interference" was always everyones excuse for crashing. I guess the word "stall" wasn't known enough.. :D

L.Adamson