That looks like a very interesting module. The cree modules are over 1200 lumens and they are like looking at the sun!

I have been looking at these and the Cree cxa21011 which are even brighter. Trying to figure out what all would be needed to put two on each side on the duck works blank mounting plate.

Wow! That is a pile of lumens. But what matters is putting the light where it is needed, and that generally means a parabolic reflector.

Reflector

Mike,

I agree with you. The LED does have a lens and there are some data showing what look to be light patterns, but I don't know enough about this stuff to be able to fully interpret. Certainly they should be useful as strobes or wig-wag lights. I think the 9 amp current draw will be a challenge. I'd like to hear from the EEs on the forum.

Tom

I have been playing with some for a few weeks

3 issues
1) You have to control the current (controller or resistors)
2) You have to heat sink them so they do not get too hot.
3) You have to use a reflector to focus the light.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=81344&highlight=mr-16+led

Also, good information here at a US supplier.
http://www.ledsupply.com/

Probably the best way to go on the controller is at the bottom of this product page but it will not do the power your mentioned LED wants.

https://matronics.com/aeroelectric/Catalog/AECcatalog.html

WOW

D,

Yeah, one of those would work... LOL
Problem is he's drawing 13 amps. He could hurt himself with that :)

Last edited:
Reflectors

Bill,

Thanks - reflectors are available, but I'm interested to see what the lens alone does. The unit looks to be 1 cm square which is pretty small. Maybe I can find ones that draw less current and use several. I may just have to buy one and fool around with it. I haven't found a 9 amp CC power supply yet, but they should be out there.

I wonder if one of those could be mounted on the fuselage as a wing inspection light? Or on the horizontal as a tail-flash light? Interesting.... -Jim

This one is one of the most efficient I have seen

http://www.ledsupply.com/creemce.php

You can buy a star that has a single like this or a star that has three smaller LEDs. This one is very efficient with over 400 lm at 350ma.

In my testing, the light just goes everywhere without a reflector, I have a 45d pattern in one of my wingtips and a 20d pattern in the other. Have not tested it in the dark of the night yet. Another reason for the reflector is to protect your eyes, you should not look at these things when they are running at higher outputs.

Holy Cow!
I just want to see where to land, not weld the cracks in the runway :)

Here is a bit more reporting on the Cree MCE 4WT-A2-0000-00M02-STAR-SR module. It is interesting that Cree states that the forward voltage of each led is 3.2V. There are 4 leds in the module and should total 12.8 volts. yet on the bench with a current regulated supply, the module I have is reading 11.5V.

Any how I ordered up a few resistors around the value I thought I would need. A 9.1 ohm 2 watt resistor yields .35Amp (reccomended current) with 14.7V in. It drops down to .26 amps at 13.8 volts, but the change in light is barely noticeable. The resistor gets warm, but you can still pick it up with your fingers and it won't melt a plastic bag.

I then wired up a LM317 linear regulator in the current regulating mode. It took a 3.6 ohm 2 watt resistor. all the current is flowing through the resistor, but the voltage drop is split accross the resistor and the LM317.

Now the interesting part. The LM3217 circuit limits the current to .35amps nicely at 14.7 volts in. however when I dropped the input volts to 13.8, the current dropped to .22 amps. I did not expect to see that. The resistor alone performed better. I even went so far as to have some circuit boards made up, but thats not going to work on the single series element.

I think that 3 of the 9.1ohm 2 watt resistors for 3 series modules will work just fine as long as they are not buried in a bundle.

Last edited:
LED Driver

I'm chatting with a gentleman who says he has a driver that will power 3 SST-90s for around $25. I'll keep everyone posted.

Tom