hcccs

Well Known Member
I installed the ignition harness today in my RV4. I have decided on using all weather plugs RHM40E which are slightly longer than REM40E. I put on the upper cowl to check clearance and it looked tight so I wonder if the ignition wire will rub against the cowl inside. I'd like to have the opinion from someone else who have this plug in his RV4.

I have an O-360-A1F6D with RHM40E's in my RV-4. I'll check tomorrow and let you know what kind of clearance I have.

Last edited:
Here are the photos..

Hans,

I took a couple of photos through the cowl at the front plugs. You can see that it is a tight fit, but I have not had any problems. I think that there is a bit more room on the rear plugs because of the cowl shape.

20r1do0.jpg

ezj153.jpg

Hope this helps.

All-weather plugs

Thanks ccsmith51

It is a bit tight. Had I thought about this before I would have chosen standard REM plugs. I still have a new standard harness for REM plugs but I have to buy new plugs. We'll see what I decide.

Tight fit, but...

The airframe / engine combo has about 100 hours on it now with no issues. I flew last July about 5,500 miles, over seven days, about 35 hours flight time, over some VERY mountainous and inhospitable terrain, with no issues at all.

I just pulled the cowl, changed the oil, and rotated the plugs. They all looked fine.

So, based on my limited experience, it may be a tight fit but I have experienced no issues yet.

Perhaps someone else has some thoughts...

The REM37BY plugs are quite a bit shorter on the external length if fit is tight. I ran them in my old Cherokee and a friend of mine runs them in his O-320 equipped RV-4. They are much more resistant to fouling.

rem37byelectrode.jpg

Some good spark plug info here: http://www.sacskyranch.com/faqsparkplug.htm

Last edited: