AF_Alan

Well Known Member
Has anyone created or seen a list of the little extra hardware to complete a basic RV (not avionics, lights, etc)?

The tank sealant was obvious and the tie down hooks are indicated as optional. However, on the empanage it was the snap bushing for the electric trim (shown on drawings but not included) and now on the wings I see more snap bushing in the drawings but not in the kit. It would be great to have a list and just make one purchase for all the little stuff.

Alan
-- would rather work than shop

Yeah, it might be nice, but some might also think it is a right of passage to have to make an order to ACS, Vans, etc. each at least once per week during the last 20% of the build :). Only then do you build up a few thousand dollars worth of random hardware such that when you need a bolt, nut, washer, platenut, snap bushing, fitting, cotter pin etc., you already have it on the shelf. Then the thought becomes, "what am I going to do with all this stuff now that I actually finished this thing?". Really, that is about how it goes. Just enjoy the ride.

That weekly order sounds about right. There's always some screw or nut that you need that isn't the right size. Just plan on spending as much on shipping as on the parts!

One of these days some enterprising individual is going to gather up all his ACS and Avery receipts and put together a master parts list or kit, with absolutely everything you need to build the plane. GAHco, you listening? :)

Of course you'll never get it perfect with all the little mods, mistakes, and other things people do, but for people trying to build fast or save on shipping it could really make sense...especially those not in the US. Of course you would throw in a few extra bolts of the common sizes, several 100 extra nylock nuts, angle stock, etc.

Problem is...

Everyone does it a little differently. So few lists will be the same.

Great Idea

One of these days some enterprising individual is going to gather up all his ACS and Avery receipts and put together a master parts list or kit, with absolutely everything you need to build the plane. GAHco, you listening? :)......

I think that is a great idea. I just started my tail this fall and was thinking of the electrical stuff while reading the Aeroelectric book, though every panel will be different there is an average amount of wire and bushings and connections not to mention the tools that everyone will use. I was looking for a "Home builder's electrical tool Kit" Only Stein carries one. I sure would be interested in a "RV supplemental hardware kit", something that provides all of the various items you will typically need but don't get with the kit. Problem with being a new builder is you don't know what you don't know, repeat builders already know what supplies they want on hand. It sure would help out if someone could just spend a couple of minutes and come up with a list of stuff a new builder might order so we have it on hand, sure save time having to wait for things to come in the mail. I am trying to keep a fairly detailed online log mainly for others to use, not that I feel I am an expert builder, far from it, but what I want is to provide one more view point. I can't tell you how helpful it is to read other builder sites before I start a section, it gives me some insight as to what difficulties lie ahead. I can then decide for myself which builder had the solution I think is best or I might decide on my own technique. This site and individual logs to me make the whole build process that much easier.

Cheers

Never have everything you need !!!

No matter how much you plan and think you have it covered, seems there is always something else you need.

I'm getting towards the end of the project and the ACS orders are about every two days and the Vans orders every three to four days. I'm amazed!

Sometimes spend more on shipping then the parts.(probably most times lately). Could always write a list as you go and order once a week but as you get closer it's hard to delay your progress!

Just part of the process. Imagine if you weren't building a Vans as some manufacturers supply no hardware.

As scard stated "Just enjoying the ride" and looking forward to fhe finished product to really start enjoying the ride.

Ted

Near the end of the project, I kept a list on my clipboard of tasks and hardware to order.

Everytime I hit a roadblock because of a missing bolt, piece of angle or whatever, I'd write it down and move on to the next task.

I'd order the parts when I thought it was the right time.

When my checklist was complete, I was done! Now I keep a list of snags and improvements... it never ends.

V

You don't know what you need - until you need it

As others have posted you will vary on what you need until you can completely decide what you want your plane to be.

Unfortunately for me I keep messing things up and have to order replacement parts. When I do order those parts, I try to think of other things I want to add to the order to justify (least in my mind) paying the handling and shipping fees from Vans (sure wish they would have a centrally located parts warehouse).

The extras I have gotten so far are:

brakes for passenger side of plane - I want my daughter to learn to fly and if I'm on that side of plane I want to be able to stop it - think trainer

Vans Fuel gauges - leaning on going with an electric engine monitoring system - don't know if I still need these gauges (maybe backups).

Matronics speed control for electric elevator trim - previous builder bought this - I recently ordered the 2sp safety trim control from group buy

Vans cowl plugs - keep birds out when plane's parked

right side elt/strobe mount - bought off Mike H - thinking of relocating ELT/strobe to under baggage compartment

Tru-Trak install mounts for elevator and right wing aileron control - later install ADI Pilot II when funds allow

Vans electrical diodes for starter and master relay

Vans crotch strap install kit - most say not needed due to non-acrobat qualities - just extra piece of mind

Master relay, starter relay, PC680 battery box, gascolator, gascolator install bracket - went ahead and pre-mounted/located these on firewall while doing firewall assembly in fuselage section in plans - these items are part of the firewall forward kit from Vans (which I haven't ordered).

The AHRS mounting kit that recently showed up on Vans site - leaning toward a GRT dual Sport system - just have to figure out how I can afford to buy it.

CreativAir LED strobe and halogen landing/taxi light kits - previous builder had ordered

Because I am working on the fuselage I feel that it will be easier to install some of these mounts and brackets now then later on after things have started to be closed up - but the key is trying to think ahead to what you actually want - as you can tell mine is still a work in progress and will continue to be. New goodies always appearing on the scene.

Thanks

Thanks all

Thanks to all. I'd previously seen a builder site that had an excellent list of all 100+ orders he'd made. (I didn't bookmark it and can't find it again...) Surprising that the same bolts and bushings were repeated several times.

I was hopeful for something on the common items shown on the plans but not included to start my own bench stock and save the s/h you all are experiencing. I can't guess which items on the plans aren't actually included in the fuse/finish kits.

Maybe I'll take RVG8tors advice and start selling "must have" parts kits as my next career.

Thanks for the help!

Alan

Extra parts

No matter how much you plan and think you have it covered, seems there is always something else you need.

I'm getting towards the end of the project and the ACS orders are about every two days and the Vans orders every three to four days. I'm amazed!

Sometimes spend more on shipping then the parts.(probably most times lately). Could always write a list as you go and order once a week but as you get closer it's hard to delay your progress!

Just part of the process. Imagine if you weren't building a Vans as some manufacturers supply no hardware.

As scard stated "Just enjoying the ride" and looking forward to fhe finished product to really start enjoying the ride.

Ted
Ain't that the truth about ACS orders. In ten days I've had to place 3 orders for the wiring and instruments. It's amazing how just when you think that you have enough - you need more. I did help myself out and just gave in and ordered the ACS AN3 bolt kit w/washers and locknuts, L08 platenuts, K1000 #8 platenuts, #6, #8 screws, and a nice thin washer kit(never enough of those). The wiring has posed it's own unique problems. I am not an electician and it has been a very painful and expensive process to learn. Never enough of the 'right' sized wire, connectors, and then the special tools. Not to mention how many things that I ordered, put in a safe place, and NOW I CAN"T FIND THEM. I've ended up with 3 extra RAC servo speed controllers somehow. Experimental really defines the process.
Mike H 9A/8A wiring ended-installing instruments, getting ready to put her on her legs.

Ya know, after reading this thread and lookingback on my own experience to date, it's a wonder UPS, FedEx and DHL ought to be conspicuous supporters/advertisers on this site. I sometimes think I've personally enabled the quarterly dividends for their shareholders. ;);)

Feedback! New Topic maybe?

One of these days some enterprising individual is going to gather up all his ACS and Avery receipts and put together a master parts list or kit, with absolutely everything you need to build the plane. GAHco, you listening? :)

Of course you'll never get it perfect with all the little mods, mistakes, and other things people do, but for people trying to build fast or save on shipping it could really make sense...especially those not in the US. Of course you would throw in a few extra bolts of the common sizes, several 100 extra nylock nuts, angle stock, etc.

GAHco is listening!

I think that we have a wider selection of hardware IN STOCK than most distributors our size. The main issue is an economical qty per part for most builders is not an economic qty for a business that handles primarily hardware.

We will in the future be offering some smaller packaging of the more popular items that do get pretty costly such as all the CherryMax listed in our Kits will be packaged in less than 100's and sell for a little more per piece to cover the additional costs incurred with the extra handling and packaging in house.

With hardware its all about qty. For us to be able to make money and still keep the prices reasonable we buy the most popular items in large lots,
and the less popular in smaller lots. They could appear to be very similar but we must charge more for what cost us more.

For some companies hardware is a loss leader or just a complimentary item while folks buy bigger items.

That won't work for us we are Genuine Aircraft Hardware for a reason.

We understand that the most expensive hardware is the stuff you don't have when you need it. Typically We Have It.

Someone can ask Doug to start a new Topic:

Things that should have been in the kit.

Here anyone could post plainly what they think should have been in the kit.

This would not be for the one time "I did it my way" modification, but things that you come up needing and it just isn't there.

Why limit it to hardware?

All the vendors that are interested could pick up where they like and add to the thread any info they like, such as A) We have it B) We will will get it. C) sorry can't help you at this time.

We are getting ready to upgrade our system software so for the next 4 months I will be "busier than a bug in a puddle of spit" and still try to build and post when I can.

I always welcome suggestions feel free to PM me anytime.