LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Now that I've finished the RV project, all of my questions have been answered that I had when I started 11 years ago. But after getting in and out of the thing...getting under the panel, crawling back in the fuselage chasing rivets, and electrons and stuff, I'm left with one question for which I've been unable to ascertain an answer....

How do fat people build these things?:D

Bob, a corollary to your question is "how do old people build these things?". I like to think I'm in pretty good shape for 53, but I was 42 when I finished my plane. Seems to be a bit more difficult to climb under the panel now....

You talkn' to me??

Bob,

Let's say I'm not exactly jockey size but I managed to build one and have most of the difficult stuff done on my second one. Tail draggers make it a little more difficult.

I always have my phone with in reach just in case. Since I live in an airpark, I alert a neighbor when I'm going to be inverted inside the fuselage.

For difficult places I search out someone who is jockey sized and stuff them where they need to go to rivet.:eek:

It is also important to build smart. I am always fascinated by people are in a rush to "get it on the gear." If you do this prematurely, you only create work for yourself. Your panel and all front end work should be done before you put it on the gear. Working off a step stool or platform is not fun!!! Wait until you NEED to put the mount, gear and engine on. In most cases this can be very late in the project. In the mean time, I use sawed off saw horses to make the work easier. Big or small this is just building smart.

Now that I've finished the RV project, all of my questions have been answered that I had when I started 11 years ago. But after getting in and out of the thing...getting under the panel, crawling back in the fuselage chasing rivets, and electrons and stuff, I'm left with one question for which I've been unable to ascertain an answer....

How do fat people build these things?:D

Bob, a corollary to your question is "how do old people build these things?". I like to think I'm in pretty good shape for 53, but I was 42 when I finished my plane. Seems to be a bit more difficult to climb under the panel now....

Now that's funny! ...and a good question.
Heck, there's guys considerably older than me building and completing these things! Sometimes I wonder how they do it. I will say that my 62 y/o, fat fingers can still tie & cinch a tie-wrap...one-handed. ;)
Darwin's got it right...build smart(er).

Sorry if this is offensive to anyone - that truly is not my intent and if my wife read this, my build may be over. It reminds me of a joke I can only remember part of, but the punch line was "grease her thighs and hold a candy bar on the other side of the door".

Im lucky, my wife is much smaller than I and willing to help when I need her. Im also lucky she doesn't read these forums much!!

...How do fat people build these things?:D

Uh oh! I'm guilty of the former (working on getting that changed before panel work :rolleyes:) and moving steadily toward the latter (keep those birthdays coming!).

First of all, "fat" is relative and I'm sure you didn't mean me.

Somewhere I heard that there's a pending request for exemption - if you can get in and out of a RV unassisted, you don't need a medical certificate. I'm sure that will come through any day now.

;)

I have lost some weight since this Picture

Buckin' the rear fuselage...:eek:
Started at 67...finished at 71...and still workin' on it

bjcv8h.jpg

Last edited: