flickroll

Well Known Member
See link below for the latest in my panel's coming to life. Everything is powered up and communicating. I am currently changing out switches so the switch row is empty. The D100 encoder is talking to the Garmin GTX 327, noted by the pressure altitude in the display of the 327. The Dynon's are talking to the SL30 (and visa versa); the D100 OBS is displayed in the SL30 window, and the Nav freq in the SL30 active window is displayed on the Dynon HSI page. Also, the Garmin 696 is communicating with the SL30; the feq's are downloaded from the 696 to the SL30 from the 696, and the 696 Course to Steer is displayed on the D100, as well as the current heading (magenta barb on HSI). And finally, I'm listening to Alan Jackson in my headset (from the iPod), although I can flip a switch and listen to the XM feed from the 696. This stuff is way too cool. Can't imagine what something like this woulda cost in the Bonanza I used to own.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/flickroll/RV8Panel#

Jim,

That looks great!

May I suggest you program the D100 to display the glide slope on the artificial horizon page? I realize this same info is also displayed on the HSI side of the screen but I have found it easier to interpret it when displayed on the horizon. The down side of this is you can't display anything else on the left side.

In my case I fly with the OAT & TAS on the right, except when messing around and then I'll put the G meter up on the right.

The glide slope will only display when your nav source directs it to, same with the HSI display.

There is a picture of this on page 3-1 of the user 5.0 manual on Dynon's web site.

Bill, great idea...actually I want to do this...but can't find a page in the setup to do it. Can you direct me to that setup? Thanks

Bill, great idea...actually I want to do this...but can't find a page in the setup to do it. Can you direct me to that setup? Thanks
No problem, check on page 4-3.
Dyon 5.0 D100 Manual said:
On the EFIS page, these two items are enabled via the EFIS > SETUP > CLUTTR menu under a single item, which can be set to either CDI:N, CDI:Y, or CDI+GS.
Set it to CDI+GS and remember, once turned on any "info" you have turned on for the left side will not be displayed.

Also, the GS (Glide Slope) bars will not be displayed until your nav source starts putting out vertical guidance. It works like this, say you are flying along 8,500'. The CDI at the bottom will be displayed but no GS bars. This is because you are cruising in level flight.

When your GPS (or other nav source) determines you are approaching the point when you need to start heading down, the GS bars will be displayed on the left side along with GS pointer at the top of the GS scale. You continue to fly straight and level until the GS pointer hits the center bar and then you start descending by keeping the pointer on the GS center bar. (I sure hope that is clear.)

Ahhh....thanks. That explains why I don't see the menu item. I have the system set up in my basement and there is no valid Nav source.

Ahhh....thanks. That explains why I don't see the menu item. I have the system set up in my basement and there is no valid Nav source.
Jim,

The menu item should still be there only you won't see the GS bars on the left of the screen.

What version of the Dynon software do you have? I'm sure you have upgraded to the latest (5.0 or greater), otherwise the AP won't work.

PS. Try to find a good place to mount the two DB9 connectors for the Dynon units. Initially I had them coiled up and zip-tied to a bracket under my panel but when I got into the beta testing for Dynon's AP, I was making almost daily updates and that was a real pain. So, I modified the bracket and pop-riveted the DB9's to it. You can still see the red zip ties passing through the bracket used to hold the excess wire in place.

This bracket it riveted to the bottom of the sub-panel on my tip-up RV-9. I'm sure you can find a good location on your -8.

Jim,

The menu item should still be there only you won't see the GS bars on the left of the screen.

What version of the Dynon software do you have? I'm sure you have upgraded to the latest (5.0 or greater), otherwise the AP won't work.

It is...I was looking in the wrong place for it, have it active now. I can put the SL30 in test mode and I get GS indication on the EFIS. I'm running 5.0. Thanks Bill

It is...I was looking in the wrong place for it, have it active now. I can put the SL30 in test mode and I get GS indication on the EFIS. I'm running 5.0. Thanks Bill
Good deal!

In my installation I have both the Dynon AP and my 496 set to 500 FPM descent, thus when the GS is intercepted, I tell the AP to start heading down at the same 500 FPM rate. This works out very nicely.

We will have to wait until the AP76 comes out for true vertical nav.