mcsteatlh

Said a quick prayer about airspeed and trim, pushed the altitude adjuster to the wall and just like that, I was going to land that 172 by myself whether I wanted to or not. It was all good and a non event I'm happy to report. Some of you may remember that I held a death grip on my instructers arm the first time he tried to get out of the plane. This time I tried to kick him out but I'm no contortionist. Couldn't get my leg up that far in the 172. :) Hit two red two white on my final which quickly went to three red, maintained that and like magic, chirp-chirp, chirp and I was down.

time for More.

Thanks all.

David
McStealth

Congrats!

Congrats on your first solo. Before you know it you'll have an examiner in there with you.

Congratulations David. I still remember how great that felt. Feels so good it's a shame you can only do your first solo once!

That is good but ...

That is a good accomplishment but I almost lost it on my third solo when I got too slow at low altitude - watch your airspeed. The solo seemed like a non-event to me because I had flown the pattern so many times with the instructor but the first solo cross country was when I really knew I was passing into a different realm in life. Maybe the environment emphasized the moment, climbing out of the Los Angeles basin from Orange County Airport (it wasn't called John Wayne then) and climbing over the mountains to Apple Valley. After I landed and shut down on the ramp I popped opened the side window and just sat there soaking in the enormity of what had happened. Approaching 5,000 flight hours later I still remember the difference of this flight hitting me as I climbed through 7,000 feet and later sitting on the ramp at Apple Valley. Don't worry, you still have big moments to look forward to.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!

Way to go.

You have now done something only a very small percent of the worlds population has experienced.

Cherish and nourish it.

Great News, David!!

I'm in Kingwood too, let me know if I can do anything to help you.

Where are you doing your training?

Phil

[...] The solo seemed like a non-event to me because I had flown the pattern so many times with the instructor but the first solo cross country was a when I really knew I was passing into a different realm. [...]
Bob Axsom

First, congrats to David! I'm just a few lessons ahead of you, but the solo is a big milestone.

Second - (sorry about the thread hijack) I had to respond to this, because I feel exactly the same way as you, Bob.

I just flew my first solo cross country yesterday, and it felt like much more of an accomplishment than doing the pattern. As I was pushing the plane to it's tie down and closing it up, it hit me that I had just done everything a "real pilot" would do - navigation, flying, communications with ATC - the works.

Now it feels like it's all downhill from here.

-- Ulrich

Remembering mine..

I remember my first solo 23 yrs ago.. Instructor told me to do 3 stop and goes. Between numbers 2 and 3, just as I was about to turn base, Some clown in a bonanza called turning base as well. I didn't see him, so I took the prudent way out and bailed out of the pattern to the south and came back around. After landing I asked my instructor if he ever saw the guy. Turns out that there was (at that time) another airport a few miles away using the same unicom freq and the guy called the wrong airport! :mad:

Congratulations!!

That's one feeling I wish I could bottle and sell. I wrote my thoughts about that day and keep it in my log book. It's fun to pull it out and read every once in awhile...almost as good as the day it happened.

It's nice that it's not just me....

I solo'd late last summer. Yahoo.

Quiet day, instructor got out, and the airplane got a lot quieter.

Our sleepy little airport, as I turned downwind and looked, had just gone from (only me) to 5 lined up for departure, and a military trainer doing an approach.

My simple little once more around the patch left my CFI shivering beside the taxiway for a little over 20 minutes. But it is quite a memory.

I'm looking forward to first solo xcountry on the weekend.

Enjoy, and play safe.

moved

Great News, David!!

I'm in Kingwood too, let me know if I can do anything to help you.

Where are you doing your training?

Phil

I guess I better update my profile :). I moved to the Hill Country about six months ago. Training at ERV, Kerrville, TX. Lots of bumps in and around these hills.

Good luck on the 10. I would ask to partner with you if I still lived there. :)

McStealth

Congrats David! The sense of accomplishment after that first solo is pretty spectacular. I soloed 3 years ago and yet I remember every detail like it was yesterday. :D:D