Hi,

I'm currently pondering the location of the hole in the brake pedal where the brake cylinder is attached.
how do you position the brake pedals (RV-9/7/6) relative to the rudder pedals (rudder pedals in neutral)?
Brake pedals straight up, or angles forward a bit?

Thanks,

Thomas

My kit log site for 3/7/2012 went into this a little....

Get there through my VAF profile. Here is a copy of that day's writup. There are some pictures.

There is really a bunch of differing information out there about how to position your brake pedals relative to the rudder bars they attach to. 'It depends'' is seen frequently. Keep the pedals too parallel and your shoes will wrongly apply brake pressure while you are ruddering. Rudder bar is too low.. Rudder bar is too high. I tried to reduce it all to a couple measurements that worked for me. Also, if you steer the rudder by applying foot pressure to the side bars (vertical rudder pedal bars) vs the horizontal rudder bar at the bottom of the pedal, you can be less concerned about how the brake pedal is positioned, Got that?? Clamp the rudder bars upside down on your workbench using the UHMW blocks to hold it with clamps. Center all the pedals by clamping a piece of 063 angle across bottoms, one clamp holding each pedal to align the bottom (horizontal) rudder pedal bars to the piece of angle. The brake pedals get temporarily mounted. The pilot and co pilot left brake pedal should measure 1.5 inches from the bottom corner (back edge) of the F6117A side plate to the vertical rudder pedal post in front of it. That sets the angle for all the brake pedals and you just match that angle with the right foot brake pedals. The measurement of the right foot brake pedals from the bottom back of the F6117A side plate to the vertical rudder pedal post in front of it would be 27/32 ", more or less. Its different because the left pedals are on one bar and the right pedals are on a different bar nestled in front of the other one. See the pictures. They are worth a 1000 words. All this is meant to allow you to drill the brake cylinders to each F6117A side plate at the bottom of the pedal. Bolting it in place then sets the angle permanently.

Wait until you can test sit in the plane, depends also on size of you and foot

Hallo Thomas

Ich w?rde warten bis Du die Pedalen eingebaut hast und Dich in den Flieger setzen kannst. Je nach dem wie gross Du bist (l?nge der Beine, Sitzposition, gr?sse der F?sse) hast Du probleme bei voll gedr?cktem Ruder von der Bremse fern zu bleiben.

Ich musst aufgrund meiner Gr?sse, 1.83m und Schuhgr?sse 47 die Pedalen weiter vorne montieren. Weiter habe ich auf den Pedalen eine Erh?hung aufgebaut, so dass ich besser von den Bremsen weg bin bei voll gedr?cktem Ruder (weil ich eben nicht zuerst getestet habe, sodern zuerst gebohrt :()
Die obersten 15mm vom Bremspedal habe ich um ca. 15? gegen mich abgewinkelt, so dass Du das ende des Pedals gut sp?hrst und nicht ?ber das Pedal rutschen kannst mit dem Schuh.

Die Problematik mit den Pedalen die klemmen ist Dir hoffentlich bewusst, meistens wir da anstelle der 2 Klemmschrauben eine lange hergenommen, diese darf dann ruhig Spiel haben und verklemmt die Pedalen weniger. Leider hat Vans die beiden Seiten der Bremspedalen leicht angewinkelt (nicht parallel) und somit tendieren die Pedalen zum klemmen bei zu wenig Spiel.

Ich hoffe diese Info hilft.

Gruss aus der Schweiz,

Dominik
HB-YMP
RV-7A