rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
Aligning RV-7A or 9A brake Pedals

How far are the brake pedals supposed to be tilted forward? What do you use as a reference point?

Thank you,

Last edited:
I assume you mean the brake pedals.

I put my rudder bars in the plane and set in my normal position. Then I made sure that the angle of my foot would not be pressing on the brakes. During final installation make your linkage for the rudder cable so that pressing full deflection and full brake will not touch the firewall or any hardware attached to it.

Kent

Oooops! You're right, Kent. I meant brake pedals, so I edited my original post. Thank you for your reply. I like your idea of how to set up the pedals.

Also this......

Mark,
If you have big feet, size 11 or 12, also consider raising the blocks on the longerons another inch with a plastic block. It helps with inadvertent brake use. We placed a ruler on the back side of the rudder pedals and then brought the brake pedals back to touch it, which gives them a little lean back away from your feet.

Pierre

I used the standard holes in the longeron, and I have big feet. I consider size 11-12 small feet. Use the above suggestions for the link length, all will work out well. When the brakes are depressed they only pivot forward about 3/4 an inch at the most with maximum braking.

yard stick

I did pretty much the same thing Pierre did. I took a metal yard stick and clamped it to the rudder pedals (all 4 of them). This lined up the rudder peddels. Then I just tilted the brake pedals back against the yard stick and drilled them. This gave the brake pedals a slight forward tilt, just enough so my feet wont touch them with them on the rudders only.