mikeangiulo

Merry Christmas! Like many of you I intend to spend much of it in my garage hard at work :)

I have Grove airfoil shaped gear for my 8. My question is: should I assume that the leading edges should all fall in line using the 4 plumb bob method?

I know that alignment method was designed for the stock steel gear that has a different shape and I can't quite tell whether the leading edge of my grove gear has a taper to it or whether the same alignment method should work.

Thanks,
-Mike

I just did this...

...check the kitlog. I stole this method from another builder (though can't remember who just at this minute). I use a line nose and tail center fuse, and then two long angles clamped and levelled on the gear legs with a line at each end of the level.

Wow, that thumb looked painful!

Thanks for the detailed pictures. I guess I'll do the angle iron trick too. I have bobs hanging already from points along the leading edge and they are in line I'm just worried that I'm aligning something that is tapered. I guess I'll find out once I rig the long angles and measure again.

Mike,
I did the angle thing too, 6 feet of 3/4 x 1/8 aluminum on each side. I like it because you're insuring the flats on the legs are parallel, thus the wheels will parallel. Run a tape measure from the back of the leg (at the axle end) to the tailwheel pivot. If the straight edges are are parallel and the tape dimension is the same, the gear has to be straight.