philcam

Well Known Member
The discussion of the heavy wing RV8 got me to thinking...

I'm working on the wings for my 8 now. I have an older kit, prepunched, but not match hole drilled. I just finished my alierons and am working on my flaps. Is there a way to measure the alierons and flaps to ensure there is no twist, or if there is that the twist is within tolarances?

thanks!
Phil

Digital level

The discussion of the heavy wing RV8 got me to thinking...

I'm working on the wings for my 8 now. I have an older kit, prepunched, but not match hole drilled. I just finished my alierons and am working on my flaps. Is there a way to measure the alierons and flaps to ensure there is no twist, or if there is that the twist is within tolarances?

thanks!
Phil

Place the control surface on a table and weigh it down. Place a digital level on the top surface on each end and check readings.

If the level rocks, use two small shims so the level rests only on the spar and the trailing edge.

With a good digital level, this should measure to much less than a degree... I'm not aware of a spec. for what twist is acceptable though...

gil A

A good FLAT table

I did basically what Az mentioned above, but I would add to be sure the table is FLAT before proceeding. It does not need to be level, but does need to be FLAT. Don't assume that because it looks flat it is (mine wasn't, the first time around). Check it with a straight edge in all directions.