prkaye

Well Known Member
is the alclad on our airplanes made using a process of "galvanization" ? The Rustoleum paints say that they should not be applied direclty to galvanized metal without a primer as a base coat.

Galvanizing is a Zinc coating usually applied to steel by either dipping into molten Zinc (HDG) or electro plating, if surface finish is more important (EZ).

Alclad is a quite different process where high purity aluminium is added to the outer layers of the material before it is rolled to thickness.

The purpose is much the same, but the processes completely different.

I think they might mean zinc plating on steel. Do yourself a test---prep a few coupons of the aluminum you want to paint, use epoxy primer vs rattle can paint. then do a rip test using duct tape when cured. then decide if you really want to use any rattle can paint on your nice airplane:cool:

is the alclad on our airplanes made using a process of "galvanization" ? The Rustoleum paints say that they should not be applied direclty to galvanized metal without a primer as a base coat.

Phil, the warning about galvanization doesn't apply to Alclad. However, I suggest you use a primer under the Rustoleum. I've used Rustoleum on many projects over the years and while it is a good paint, it will work best with a primer. I used the PPG industrial wash primer that is common on RV's and have also used epoxy primer and various Rustoleum primers.

Not sure what you are painting at the moment, but if you are painting a large area like the interior with Rustoleum, you might consider applying it with a gun vs rattle can. The paint can be thinned with mineral spirits for spraying, and that will reduce the gloss a little which is good for an interior. The interior of my plane was painted with gun-sprayed Rustoleum nearly ten years ago and it has held up well (primed with the PPG primer). The rattle cans work well for smaller items.