N363RV

Well Known Member
Amanda and I have been in colorado for the past 9 days or so. She noticed in a community website http://www.alamosa.org/event-calendar that there was an air show. Not that we like airplanes or anything ;), but it was something to do after we dumped the trash. We arrived at the airport about 10 am. As we walked onto the ramp we began to see familiar Cessna and Piper aircraft parked here and there. We saw a super cub and also a Highlander made by "Just Aircraft". It was a really neat airplane and had ginormous tires. We also saw a really cool Stearman!

Then we saw our favorites!!! The familiar Vans line. We saw all models of Vans except for the 10 and the 14.

We chatted with a nice couple from Buena vista that had a lovely 6. Parked next to them was really cool 9A. Then near that plane was nice 6. The owner was chatting away with an interested party. There were a number of other vans drivers at the airshow.

Then on the far north end of the ramp we could hear our bretherend start their planes. A flight of 6 took off and entertained us for more than 15 minutes. All 6 planes were tail draggers. Awsome paint jobs ranging from yellow to red. Notable tail art included a skull and cross bones. There was one guest airplane that looked like an extra 300 but was actually a Giles 202. The airmanship was outstanding and routine excting. The group performed twice with the first performance ending in a star burst. One of the more exciting moments was when we watch 2 of our Vans pilots fly right towards each other and then breaking away. The last formation flight consisted of the missing man formation. The performance was outstanding!!! If you were one of our formation flight performers, please respond to this post and list the names of the of folks involved in that fine performance.

Matt Tanner was another performer who flew a Laser Z300. I can't say enough about this guys amazing high altitude performance. If you can think of some kind of cool manuever, he did it today. More about Matt here.. http://www.matttanner.com/About/Pilot/

There was also a fine performance of a WWII aircraft. Sadly the annoucer was having issues and I could not hear him.... but I think it was an Avenger. Regardless, it was a fine performance and very exciting for us on the ground.

I regret that I didn't have a camera with me today, but I am hoping that some else may have some pictures to share with us.

It was great fun and I hope to go to next years fly in.

Jim Gray pilots the skull and crossbones RV8. Number two I believe is Jim Sherry in his RV8. There is an FAA lady as well, but I only just met her and my aged memory can't recall her name at present. She really is here to help... Someone else surely knows the whole crew.

Gray flies out of Rocky Mountain Metro in Broomfield, Co. and Sherry is in Longmont I think. Very cool people and gorgeous planes.

Last edited:
Introducing the Rocky Mountain Renegades Formation Team

Lead Jim "Gringo" Gray OSH award winning RV-8

2 Jim "Mad Dog" Sherry another very sharp Rv-8

back up 2 Steve Cox in the same -8

3 Ed " Sabre " O'Connor in another RV-8

4 Han's "Cobra" Miesler RV-4 160hp acro

5 Chris "Twister" Murphy RV-4 160hp acro

6 Steve " G-man" Bergevin Giles 202 acro

7 Stephanie " Blue Jay" Wells RV-6 160hp

Sean "will soon have a call sign too" Thomas announcer

Bob Markert former F-15 demo guy and advisor

Alamosa was this groups first show performance and they did a great job. They will fly 3 times at the CSA airshow at Denver Metro Aug 24,25,26.

Jim Gray has put together a show that really blows the crowd away and I am proud to be a part of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CMCH-eKzEo

Chris M

Last edited:
jealous 10 builder..

Soooooo jealous! I would love to see the Renegades in action, and be part of it too. Unfortunately, I am building an RV-10. I'm glad to see Sean will be donating his RV-7 (and talents) in the future. Who knows, my next plane may likely be aerobatic... Perhaps I'll purchase a flying 3.

Twister, just to keep the record straight, I flew the F-15 and narrated the show for two years. The demo pilots were Mike Schonefield and Bob Fleer.
Bob Markert

Lead Jim "Gringo" Gray OSH award winning RV-8

2 Jim "Mad Dog" Sherry another very sharp Rv-8

back up 2 Steve Cox in the same -8

3 Ed " Sabre " O'Connor in another RV-8

4 Han's "Cobra" Miesler RV-4 160hp acro

5 Chris "Twister" Murphy RV-4 160hp acro

6 Steve " G-man" Bergevin Giles 202 acro

7 Stephanie " Blue Jay" Wells RV-6 160hp

Sean "will soon have a call sign too" Thomas announcer

Bob Markert former F-15 demo guy and advisor

Alamosa was this groups first show performance and they did a great job. They will fly 3 times at the CSA airshow at Denver Metro Aug 24,25,26.

Jim Gray has put together a show that really blows the crowd away and I am proud to be a part of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CMCH-eKzEo

Chris M

Last edited:
I had the extreme pleasure of meeting and flying with Mad Dog, Sabre, and Cobra in ID and MT the end of last month. Not only are they exceptional pilots, the are entertaining and exceptional individuals, too. I feel fortunate to have spent time with them.