Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
My aircraft is receiving its airworthiness inspection in a couple of weeks. I'm having it done by someone from the local FSDO. When I talked to the guy doing the inspection he said to make sure that I had an entry in the log book that all SBs and ADs had been complied with, for the airframe, engine and propeller.

My understanding is that this is actually not required. But rather than argue with him, since all SBs and ADs have been complied with, I'd just as soon put an entry in the log book and be done with it.

Any idea what the entry should say?

Thanks,
Michael-

My aircraft is receiving its airworthiness inspection in a couple of weeks. I'm having it done by someone from the local FSDO. When I talked to the guy doing the inspection he said to make sure that I had an entry in the log book that all SBs and ADs had been complied with, for the airframe, engine and propeller.

My understanding is that this is actually not required. But rather than argue with him, since all SBs and ADs have been complied with, I'd just as soon put an entry in the log book and be done with it.

Thanks,
Michael-

I don't recall FSDO insisting on a logbook entry, but I do recall that there was a field on one of the forms that wanted that information. After reviewing the ADs, finding none applicable to my engine, I just the revision number of the correct AD publication on the form.

This is a good reminder since I'm doing my annual condition inspection this week. I'm of the belief, although not required, I do want to know about any all AD and SB that are applicable.

My FSDO guy asked me about ADs on my brand new Lycoming. I was dumbfounded by the implication that a new engine would not have all previous ADs complied with.
He just recommended that I check but it did not impede the approval.

I did find one repeating visual inspection for the injection lines so he was correct.

Thanks,
Michael-

A guy in my local EAA chapter had a FSDO inspector ask to see his PMEL documentation on the tools used to build the Sonex. Also failed the inspection, in part, because the firewall was riveted with pop rivets, per the Sonex plans.

John

This is totally wrong!

A guy in my local EAA chapter had a FSDO inspector ask to see his PMEL documentation on the tools used to build the Sonex. Also failed the inspection, in part, because the firewall was riveted with pop rivets, per the Sonex plans.
John

There is nothing in the regulations regarding documentation on tools or how the firewall is attached.

ISTR a recent KitPlanes article that basically said "If you install a piece of certified/TSO'd equipment in your experimental, and there is an AD issued against that piece of equipment, you must comply with the AD."

The AD process does not discriminate between experimental aircraft vs a certified one on which said part is installed.

John

I agree with Mel. Actually, I had just the opposite experience. My inspector questioned how I did a couple items. But when I open the manual to the instructions to validate that I indeed built per plans, he stated that he was prohibited from contradicting procedures in the kit provider's plans. Now that didn't stop him from sharing his opinion on how he thought it should have been. He just couldn't officially comment or document his opinion. The benefit of all this dialogue showed the inspector my knowledge of the plans and build.