Lionclaw

Well Known Member
I just dropped off my paperwork at the FSDO yesterday, and I'm trying to get all remaining loose ends taken care of before the inspection.

Will the inspector expect to see certain logbook entries? I've kept notes for things such as ELT battery expiration, but have not yet entered them in the logbook.

Should the first condition inspection be entered into the logbook before or after the airworthiness inspection?

I intend to have my construction log, construction photos, and applicable engine ADs printed and on hand.

Can anyone offer any recommendations on how else I can better prepare?

Thanks!

Log book entry saying you have inspected the plane and found it to be airworthy is all that is rerquired.

I am guessing that the FAA is doing the inpsection. I would ask the possible inspector what condition he wants the plane in. Some want it ready to fly, others want it opened up. It varies. Personally, I wouldn't offer up the engine ADs unless asked.

Required placards and all switches/controls labeled.

Last edited:
You'll have to sign off a condition inspection prior to the A/W entry. You should also log That you have tested the ELT I/A/W FAR 91.207d. Throw in the battery expiration also. That way it doesn't have to be read off the case label every time. Don't forget to have an AD list also with compliance times/signature and next due for recurring AD's.

Andy, I just got my RV-7A signed off last month and have a package of items that my DAR sent me to peruse and fill out before the inspection. I had everything done prior to the inspection and all went well. Some of the stuff may not apply to you, but if you would like to look at it let me know and I'll send it to you. If you want it send me a message at rvsearey at aol dot com.

Dan

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off, Congratulations are in order, this is a major milestone.

For answers to the questions, pretty much what everyone else has said.

My recomendation??? talk to the inspector, and ask what he wants.

You'll have to sign off a condition inspection prior to the A/W entry.

I did not have to do this. Before receiving my letter, I did not even have the verbiage to use. As I understood it, the clock for inspections started with the airworthiness - though I did need the equipment entries (battery, pitot/static, etc.) to be legal for flight requiring that equipment.

Log book entry saying you have inspected the plane and found it to be airworthy is all that is required.

Do NOT use the term "airworthy". Instead say:

"I certify that I have inspected the aircraft in accordance with FAR part 43, appendix D, and consider it eligible for an experimental airworthiness certificate for the purpose of operating amateur-built aircraft under the provisions of FAR part 21.191(g)."

Sign and date.

Thanks Mel

I copied and pasted the statement for entry into my A/C Log.
I am also fortunate to have a DAR from the Atlanta FSDO who not only built and flies his own RV-6, but was kind enough to come out to the house where my build is and look everything over as a preliminary opportunity to share his experiences as to what to do and also avoid doing so I should be ready for the AW inspection in mid November. It was a very reaasuring experience to be able to have he and an other new DAR look everything over. They were also both A&P/IA so it should go smoothly when the time comes. I'm getting psyched to complete everything and if I don't feel ready, I'll delay the inspection until I'm satisfied. BTW, he said all looked good and they were not picking nits, just sharing real good information.
Just my .:rolleyes:02

Thanks all for the great advice! I just spoke with the inspector, and he wants me to leave it all opened up. I'll complete the condition inspection and get that signed off.

Airworthiness inspection is Friday morning!

I'll be visiting Mike Seager next week in Oregon to get my transition training done!

I'm excited! :)