Dan_E_Root

One of the certification forms (FAA FM 8130-6 , section III, B) asks for "aircraft certification basis". The example shown in AC 20-27F luckily uses an RV to illustrate how to fill out the form, and has a check by "airworthiness directives", which further asks for latest AD number.

How do I find out which ADs I need to worry about, and how do I find out which ones apply, and what the latest one is that appropriate? I went to the FAA site, and there's a gazillion of 'em.

This would be interesting to know. Maybe another Checkoway database? :)

I went to the FAA site and checked against the Lycoming O320-D2A, my carb (can't remember part no right now), and slick mags, and it looks like I'm compliant. Looks like. I'd like to know for sure too.

All the airframe related "ADs" should be posted on Van's website.

Edit: couldn't think of the term, hence the ""'s above. You all know that right? :)

Last edited:
One of the certification forms (FAA FM 8130-6 , section III, B) asks for "aircraft certification basis". The example shown in AC 20-27F luckily uses an RV to illustrate how to fill out the form, and has a check by "airworthiness directives", which further asks for latest AD number.

How do I find out which ADs I need to worry about, and how do I find out which ones apply, and what the latest one is that appropriate?

This is a controversial subject but I'll post anyway....... ;)

AD's apply only to aircraft with a standard airworthiness certificate. Our RV's have an experimental certificate so are not subject per regulations to compliance with ADs. You may omit that portion of the registration form. But.....beware......there are some DARs that do not hold this opinion and can make life miserable for you. Shop your DAR very carefully!

However.....prudence suggests that it is a good idea to be aware of any AD's that may apply to your engine. You can then make the decision as to whether or not you wish to comply.

There is no such animal as an AD that is issued by Vans. The kit manufacturer can only issue service bulletins and letters but they do not fall under FAA regulation (it's that absence of standard airworthiness certificate!) and compliance is optional for builders.

Having said all that, there is one more obstacle you may want to consider. Insurance carriers have the capacity to enforce any "regulation" they wish on someone who wants their coverage. You also need to educate yourself on what your carrier is going to expect in regards to "AD" and service bulletin compliance.

Dan,

Van's only issues SB's (service bulletins). You, as the manufacturer, would issue AD's. This is for the airframe only. As far as the engine and prop go, that is another thing. If the engine is currently certified, it is subject to all AD's issued by the manufacturer (Lycoming). If it is an experimental built engine like a TMX-360, it becomes somewhat of a grey area. Same goes for the prop. Your engine builder/prop manufacturer would probably issue an SB or AD as required. Same would go for any other accessory such as Mags, prop governor,etc.

Just as a confirmation, only FAA can issue Airworthiness Directives. The manufacturer can issue service bulletins.

If the engine is currently certified, it is subject to all AD's issued by the manufacturer (Lycoming).

As mentioned before, this subject is a quagmire.

It is my understanding that you cannot have a "certified" engine in one of our experimental aircraft. The "certified" engine is certificated only for a particular engine/airframe/prop combination, none of which applies to our experimental aircraft. My engine was pulled from a C172, but once it was bolted to the firewall of my RV-6, it was no longer "certified" and hence not subject per FARS to either Lycoming or Cessna service bulletins or FAA AD's.

Dan_E_Root said:

How do I find out which ADs I need to worry about, and how do I find out which ones apply, and what the latest one is that appropriate? I went to the FAA site, and there's a gazillion of 'em.

Dan:

Send me the complete engine number for your engine. (ie: for my airplane, it is O-320 B2B) I will walk you through with links on how to search the FAA AD database. You can find the link to the FAA AD database in the LINKS 2 HELP DAR' section on my web site. http://www.rvdar.com/AB-DARlinks.htm the next to last link there is 'Airworthiness Directives'. http://www.rvdar.com/AB-DARlinks.htm

That will take you to the FAA AD Database. http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

You want to select Current ADs By Make. Then click on L for Lycoming. Then click on Lycoming Engines. Now search for your engine number. You may need to click MORE at the bottom of the page to get to your engine. That will list all the ADs for that engine and should also link to the complete AD in PDF format.

The latest AD on my engine is: 2004-10-14 http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/9fa5e5f8683a0a4686256e9b004bc295/$FILE/041014.pdf

Hope that helps. If you leave it blank, the DAR could give you a 40 hour test period. Engine and prop must both be Type Certificated and have all ADs complied with. After market EI will made the engine not meet the TC. Lasar is an STC ignition so it would be ok.

OK, let me get this straight. Since RV's are NOT subject to AD's, and my engine is not a certified engine (TMX-360 from Mattituck) there are no AD's for me to worry about.

What then do I put in the AIRCRAFT SPECIFICATION BASIS section in IIIB on the FAA Form 8130-6?

duh, never mind. I think I just figured it out.

since neither my aircraft nor engine are certified, there's no basis for certification, and that block on FAA Fm 8130-6, (IIIB) should be left blank.

If the DAR

Dan,
Section III must be filled out. In your case, (neither your aircraft or engine are certificated) all four blocks under "B" should contain "N/A".