dmaib

Well Known Member
This may be a dumb question, but I am curious if the pink A/W certificate the DAR issued is the permanent certificate? Or, will a permanent certificate be issued from OKC? (like the registration certificate)
I am gathering information for future Bahama's flights and that got me thinking about this issue.

You are set for the A/W certificate. It does not expire.
It is the white registration certificate you will need to reenter the U.S.

Randy Hooper

Maybe, Maybe not!

You are set for the A/W certificate. It does not expire.

An 8130-7, Special Airworthiness Certificate, may expire. Look at the expiry block. Most will say "Unlimited" but not necessarily. There are special cases when we will issue Phase I only and give a one year expiry on the Airworthiness Certificate.

Radio license

Don't forget that you will need a radio license. The US grants an exception to the rule, so nobody gets this for flying in the US. But when I visited the Bahamas (I also live in Florida like you) they DEFINITELY wanted to see my certificates including the radio license when I landed in Marsh Harbor.

Enjoy the Bahamas.

Rich Wilson
RV-8 N707RW

Then what?

An 8130-7, Special Airworthiness Certificate, may expire. Look at the expiry block. Most will say "Unlimited" but not necessarily. There are special cases when we will issue Phase I only and give a one year expiry on the Airworthiness Certificate.

Mel, you and I have discussed this before - but I don't recall this answer: So if your expiry block does have a date, how do you renew it when it expires, and can you then request the 'unlimited' stamp?

Mel, you and I have discussed this before - but I don't recall this answer: So if your expiry block does have a date, how do you renew it when it expires, and can you then request the 'unlimited' stamp?

It depends on why the expiration date is there. The operating limitations should explain. If they are issued for phase I only, you will need a new inspection. This would be the most common reason.
Another possible reason (not for RVs) is the grandfathered E-LSAs that were being used for training expire 1/31/2010. In this case they may be amended without an inspection because it is simply a change is operating limitations.