AirWolf

I have a few questions about the Airworthiness Certification Process.

When should I submit my Airworthiness Cert Paperwork? How long does the process normally take? How do I specify when I want my plane inspected?

AC 20-27F says that you plane needs to be Identified and marked before you apply for an airworthiness certificate. So that means that you have to have your plane fully assembled, weighed, and marked before you can submit your airworthiness cert paperwork?

Thanks for the help,
Ron
RV-9A Post baffling!

I submitted my paperwork a few weeks before I was ready for ground testing. I used the Milwaukee FSDO and had them inspect the plane. The FAA is free and can also submit the repairmans license for you. Best to call the entity that you are going to use and give them a heads up on your progress and an idea when you will want them. They can help you get your paperwork properly filled out and supply needed forms. There is a checklist that they use that will tell you what they will inspect and what items have to be in place, such as your N # and various markings and placards.

Roberta

A Study in Contrast

Ron,

Having recently gone thru the process, I can tell you what my experience was. Among his extensive credentials, a DAR based at a nearby airport encouraged me to get the necessary paperwork in order. On the day of the inspection, I needed to present the FAA registration and sample W&B calculations, which he reviewed and checked against his own calculations. I had the engine, airframe, and propeller logs arranged on the wing and available for his inspection. Because we are based under Class B airspace, he noted the encoder (mandatory) and the static system (optional) tests as duly logged by a qualified technician. He accepted my entries of fresh batteries in the ELT, a satisfactory radio check, and that the new engine was run for several minutes. He accepted, though barely reviewed my "builders log" which consists of a thousand photographs in a dozen albums. He wanted to see receipts. I've got receipts!
The inspection of the airplane itself consisted of him having me remove the cowling, and he spent considerable time checking the integrity of firewall forward area. He moved on to inspect the data plate, the open inspection holes, etc. He then sat in the cockpit, checked for free joystick control over its range of movement then turned the master on and one by one verified that every system including the landing light came alive properly. He noted that all the mandatory placarding was in place. Overall, the entire inspection process lasted something over 2 hours. The only gig he noted was my failure to display a compass correction card. When I protested as to its general ugliness and would surely mar the look of the panel, he said "Rick, you don't have to fill it out but it must be in the airplane". So I affixed (I had one on hand) a small aluminum example to an out of the way surface and the inspection was over. He had previously prepared and then presented me with an operating limitations document and the airworthiness certificate.
Because, he is a DAR and not the FAA, it is still up to me to get the repairman's certificate though he provided me with the necessary information to submit in person to the St. Louis FSDO.

Interestingly, a local builder took a different path than was mine and had the FAA inspect his new RV-9A. I'm told all the inspector was interested in was his paperwork and placarding were in order. She did not ask nor did she inspect his airplane. In short order, he was handed his airworthness certificate. YMMV.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

AirWolf said:
I have a few questions about the Airworthiness Certification Process.

When should I submit my Airworthiness Cert Paperwork? How long does the process normally take? How do I specify when I want my plane inspected?

AC 20-27F says that you plane needs to be Identified and marked before you apply for an airworthiness certificate. So that means that you have to have your plane fully assembled, weighed, and marked before you can submit your airworthiness cert paperwork?

Thanks for the help,
Ron
RV-9A Post baffling!
I just got my AC last week. The time depends on your local FAA office. Call them and ask. They will usually have a packet of information that they will send to you. You need to have the registration in hand, the airplane completed, weight and balance done, and all markings, registration numbers, and placards installed.

The airplane must be complete and ready for flight. The registration and weight & balance must be done. The airplane should be presented with cowling and inspection covers removed so that all flight & engine controls and fuel connections can be inspected. I send a paperwork package and need it returned to me at least 1 week before the inspection. All information is included in the package. A very thorough inspection including paperwork usually takes around 2.5 to 3 hours. These are my requirements. Other DARs may vary. I have done over 100 RVs since 1999. Sounds like Rick did his homework (as you are doing). If you have any other questions or wish to contact me, you may do so by e-mail or daytime phone 972-995-0372.
Mel...DAR