Looking at the product description, I'm skeptical about whether it would produce any significant cooling at all with the oil filter in its conventional location on the accessory case. Even with the increased surface area of those fins, it's still sitting in relatively hot stagnant air.

Now if you installed it such that there's a cold air blast flowing across it, you might actually be able to pull some heat away from those fins. BUT, it would still likely be a far less efficient heat exchanger than a conventional oil cooler. So bottom line, you're still likely better off directing the available cooling airflow through an appropriately-sized conventional oil cooler.

Disclaimer: Just thinking it out. No direct experience with this product.

I have been using one on my 9A for about three months. I can only use about half the fins because of interference from the engine mount (It is an angle oil filter adaptor on an IO360) so not much room. I believe that it has lowered the temp about 3 to 5 degrees. That is just observation right after putting it on.

I have had constant oil temp issues that were solved by using a SW cooler, sealing everything in the baffles, and using this device. If you are not running above 200 to 220 as a normal oil temp, I would say that it is not worth it. If you are, then every little bit helps.

I have the airwolf remote mount

Down low on the starboard side of the firewal of my 8A. Oil cooling isn't really an issue and I have been thinking of getting one of these chillers and taking off the oil cooler completely. Will post back if I ever get around to it. I expect in winter operations in the northwest it would work great

Randy

Just a reaction -

I don't think I could get it on my RV7A (angle mount for filter) nor on a Cherokee 180 (straight mount) without interference. I think it might reduce temperatures, but wouldn't you have to get some directed airflow past the fins?

The last I knew, Pacific Oil Cooler had some data on their website where you could calculate the effectiveness of the oil coolers given the size and airflow - maybe that could be helpful predicting the results.

I think I'd like to know what the ambient temperatures around the filter are before I tried something like this. If OT are 200 and temps outside the filter are 210 then this thing will help heat the oil. I have no idea what the temps are in this area during normal or climb operations.

I do have a temp probe mounted lower behind the accessory case used as a fire detector. This probe typically reads about 230-245 deg but it is also much closer to the exhaust.