Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
Copied below is a slightly edited version of the latest information received direct from Race Director Eric Whyte (the excellent website is still saying the entry forms will be available before the new year 2006 - http://www.airventurecup.com ).

Bob Axsom

Hi Guys,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, I was in the USVI and the internet connection was really slow so it was kind of a ?read only? situation for a week. Not a bad place to be stuck on a 6 day layover though!

So here is the deal, we need to find our own sponsors. We need any and all leads you guys can come up with. The good news is that EAA is giving us our own separate checking account so all money we raise goes directly to the race. No ?... Tax? as in the past. Also if we should raise enough to have money left over at the end of the year all the better it goes into the kitty for the 2007 race. So once we raise money for the event it stays until we use it up or stop having the race.

We are obviously looking for a large sponsor if there is interest but we are also looking for many small level sponsors. There are very few companies that are willing to spend $15,000 to sponsor an Air Race but we are hoping it would be easier to find ten companies that are willing to donate $1,000 to $5,000.

The other part of the ?bad? news is that EAA is charging us full face value for the wristbands so that is something we will need to look at. I don?t necessarily agree with but that decision was made above my level as they say.

The good news is we have one sponsor already on board that has committed to the lunch and breakfast in Dayton. Yes those are not the most critical of items we are looking for but they were offered and I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. ( The Sponsor is Commander Aero the FBO that hosts us) EAA is staying on to provide the insurance coverage and some publicity. We have control over the website and they have agreed to run a blurb about the website in Sport Aviation and also on the e-hotline.

I have been really bogged down with work recently I was on the road 22 of 28 days in February, so I have not been able to get the race staff together yet. I don?t see that changing anytime soon. I just got summoned for jury duty and crew scheduling blew a gasket and is frantically trying to get me out of it because apparently they can?t live with out me for two days. It is nice to feel appreciated ? I think!

In the e-mails you guys sent me several of you mentioned possible leads for sponsors, I speak for the entire race staff in saying we need all the help we can get. Since I am on the road nearly continuously at this point e-mail is the best way to contact me. I will keep you all posted.

Eric

Bob

Thanks for this. I immediately forwarded your message to the Matronics RV list, and the yahoo RV8 list, and the Lancair list, and the Sam James cowl list.

Lets all think about our many suppliers who could benefit from some exposure from the race sponsorship.

This race is way too much fun to let die!!!!!!

John Huft

3-25-06 Update

I just checked the http://www.airventurecup.com website under General Information and enrty Forms and I found a change. There is a 3/25/06 update on this page and it says the entry forms are being updated for 2006 and they will be published as soon as they are available. Nothing concrete but this is the first published sign of real progress since November. I have a good feeling that the wheels are starting to turn and we will have a race. If the forms are not available by the end of April I'm going to switch to the U.S. Air Race, Inc. long cross country which is running concurrently. I like the "No Handicap" AirVenture Cup rules best but the other race is very good too. http://www.us-airrace.org is the web site for it and entry packages must be in by the 1st of June to be included in the printed Official Program (hence my dead line for the switch).

Bob Axsom