What makes this race so special? I've been on the website for the last couple of years so I know what the course is. It appears to be a low level race, hot, and probably with a fair amount of turbulence and you use twin cooling towers as a turning mark. Out here in California if you buzz around some cooling towers you have a couple of military guys formed up on your wing. Some personal reflections from previuos participants would be helpful to light the fires of us who are thinking about it.
Tom
RV3

Well, maybe it's just a personal thing

Before getting into the race please let me clarify that no one in the race turns around the cooling towers, they are a reporting reference point when inbound to the second turn in the race. There are only two specified turns in the race and they are over easily identified locations on two airports.

It is an attitude thing perhaps and you are not alone in your skepticism, the EAA feels the same way about the race - "what's special about it and who cares really if the race is run?" Last year there were around 50 planes entered and I never saw a single person that was not positive about what was going on. The personalities are varied - a real boiling pot of homebuilt pilots and a variety of fast planes. Once you check in at Dayton on Saturday there is a evening dinner and race briefing for all competitors. Last year it was at the Dayton Engineering Club and this year it is at Wright Patterson AFB. My wife and I met some very interesting people there - that was a special treat in itself.

On Sunday morning there is another race pilots briefing and then the race begins with launching of the fastest classes first to minimize the passing. After that it is up to you to get from A to B to C and finally to D as fast as you possible can while obeying all the race and FAA rules. The quality of the field is a special thing about this race but what is going on in your own head is the most special - this race just makes it possible.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
What make this race special is the comraderie between the participants.

It starts in Dayton the evening before the race, continues with joking and razzing each other during the race, continues after we do a mass arrival at OSH and at the barbeque that evening, through the fish fry Wednesday evening, and the on through the year until next time.

It is also a time where those of us who like to modify our airplanes for speed and efficency get to benchmark our progress against the others who are interested, and also cuts the B.S. factor a little.

It is also a time for some pilot skill, tactics, weather guessing, etc. No one is loitering around the cooling towers.

Last year was low (head winds), and hot. The year before was a bit of a scud run at first, then a cruise. Some go high, some low.

I just love it!!!

John Huft
Race 18
:D :D