gereed75

Well Known Member
The latest issue of Sport Aviation got me thinking more about an idea I have swiming around in my head about Airventure. They will be doing some special events for the Naval Aviation Centenial and are expecting some Navy aircraft done in centenial paint jobs.

What are the chances that we could get a special parking area for Navy themed RV's?? I know there are quite a few out there.

This will be my first trip to airventure so I really don't know what the possibilities might be for such an effort.

Suggestions from some of our more salty Navair RV bubbas out there??

Looks like a Capt Richard Dann is running the show for Navair. Anyone know him or how to get in touch with him??

Anyone with interest PM me and we'll see what we could put together.

PM me if you're interested, I tried to support last year with a static and know the coordinator.

Planning on trying again this year.

Thanks

Sig and Bill. E-mailed Captain Dann. Let's see what develops.

Any other Navy bubba RV guys out there interested??

I'm in

Although I'm just a wannabe, my plane is dressed in VF-84 livery.

Might even have an ejection seat by then. :D

Boy, you guys are making me feel old! I remember watching the formation of "Cats" at OSH for the 75th anniversary of Naval aviation.:eek:

Yes!

My -8 is painted in my current squadron colors/theme and believe having a Navy section for RV's is an awesome idea! I'm not 100% sure I'll be there however as I'm currently scheduled for deployment and return right about this time.... If I can, I'm in!!!

Spank
CO HSM-70

I agree with Spank, I think it's sounds like a great idea..... I'd be up for it. My RV-8 is painted in Navy Jolly Roger colors.

Jim Gray
N747JG

Hey Guys

Looks like we might be gaining a bit of traction. Traded e-mails with the Capt Dann (Navy Centennial OINC) and he will mention the idea in his next talk with Airventure. He suggested some preferred parking arrangement to collect the Navy themed RV's in one spot.

Spread the word and see if we can gather a decent turnout. I'll keep everyone posted.

Fairwinds and following seas all!

Mark - absolutely!

break break

Not to hijack this great idea but what about including all current and former Naval Aviators who fly RV's independent of their paint scheme? Maybe a section within a section???

Just a thought

Spank

...but what about including all current and former Naval Aviators who fly RV's independent of their paint scheme? Maybe a section within a section???

Just a thought

Spank

I'm likin' that idea too. I love Navy paint schemes...just don't have one (bought it painted).

Maybe call the squid section "Steel Beach"! ;)

I'll bring the plastic pool and the pink flamingos! :cool:

And I'm sure I can find a place to put this sticker on, just to be somewhat official!

lsopatch.jpg

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Perfect! I'll chime in with CAPT Dann myself tomorrow and offer some coordination help if necessary.

Thanks guys, By all means, Mark and others, I got no problem including all Navy bubbas and theme painted planes (regardless of pilots pedigree). It is a celebration of 100 yrs of NAVAIR - the mo the better!!

Maybe instead of steel beach we could call it "grass beach".

Ken, I'm sure a bit more steam behind the good Captain wouldn't hurt. Maybe we could finagle some parking near the War Birds.

Hmm, plastic pool, pink flamingos - all we need is 1/2 a 55 gallon drum grill and it could be an official steel beach picnic.

Fly Navy!

Last edited:
...Hmm, plastic pool, pink flamingos - all we need is 1/2 a 55 gallon drum grill and it could be an official steel beach picnic.

Fly Navy!

And anybody that comes to OSH from south of the equator gets to become a Shellback! :D

Well, OK, maybe that won't fly...but many traditions can be honored...someone can bring a 1MC and call away sweepers, and we can have a man overboard drill in the plastic pool! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

This could be fun

For those with more Airventure experience - what are the chances that we could pop up a shelter near aircraft parking so that we can have maybe a Tuesday night AOM at the club sort of event. ??

Where might be good candidate parking spots to collect the A/C and stake out a shelter spot??

email sent to CAPT Dann

CAPT Dann,

Many current and former Naval Aviators are actively involved in building and flying their own experimental category airplanes - particularly of the RV series. Several of us have discussed the idea of organizing a special area of Oshkosh to be sectioned off during this years Centennial celebration for those with Naval Aviation themed airplanes and/or Naval Aviators with an experimental airplane, as a show of support to both Navy Air and the Experimental Aircraft community. This discussion is in its infancy but I would like to offer any support needed to help make this happen. Some ideas floating around are:

1. A special section for parking Naval Themed Aircraft or those owned by Naval Aviators
2. A Tent area, hopefully co-located with parking to host an "AOM" with a "steel beach theme"
3. Beer paid for by Commander Naval Air Forces
4. A presentation of some kind (very informal)

Without an accurate muster I'd guestimate anywhere from 20-50 airplanes (totally a guess)

What a great way to bring current and former Naval Aviators together and show off our mutual support for the best profession in the world!

Standing by to discuss at your leisure....

Vr

Spank

I'm likin' that idea too. I love Navy paint schemes...just don't have one (bought it painted).

Maybe call the squid section "Steel Beach"! ;)

I'll bring the plastic pool and the pink flamingos! :cool:

And I'm sure I can find a place to put this sticker on, just to be somewhat official!

lsopatch.jpg

Cheers,
Bob

Suck it paddles... looked good to me!!!!

vaq137good.jpg

ok in true Naval Aviation fashion no good deed goes unpunnished!

CAPT Dann called me right back and offered to support the initial discussions with OSH reps. After that it will be over to us to coordinate (and $$$) with them directly. Expected.

I also got volunteered to speak about my squadron and current operations at a local auxially which has been hounding him for a speaker - this is what I get! :) its all good.

CAPT Dann will forward the POC info to me directly and I'll share it with you guys.

Gary - this is your idea so I have no intention of "taking it over". If you would like me to take lead, no problem. Otherwise, I'll pass along the info you need and support as wingman in anyway you want.

vr

Spank

Thanks Spank

As you say, it is all good. All I rated from Capt Dann was a return e-mail. I will PM you to discuss further.

G Reed

Any progress?

Just checking to see if any progress is being made on parking naval-themed RVs together at Oshkosh. I just received an e-mail from EAA touting the weeklong celebration of the centennial of naval aviation and it jogged my memory about this thread.

Updates, anyone?

Bump!

Just rattling the cage again. Any plans yet for naval-themed RVs to park together?

If not, then I'll probably just camp with the plane in HBC. However, if there's going to be a special place for naval-themed RVs to park together, then I'll need to get a space over in Camp Scholler.

Anything official yet?

Don

Nothing official yet. I lost momentum on this project. Lets see if I can revive the effort.

Will post an update by the end of the week.

Gary,

I PM'd you but got no response. It looks like Ken will be deployed during Oshkosh this year so it's down to you. We're still up for this but we need to start firming up some details. Give me a call.

Although I have no connections with the EAA folks, let me know if I can do anything to further this project.

There's an outside chance that our son may be able to join me this year at Oshkosh. After two tours in Afghanistan, he's ready for a break. The last time he went to Oshkosh with me he was about 14.

I'll stay tuned ...

The centennial paint schemes

are great. I'm planning to paint my -8 in a Navy scheme. Here are two that interest me. Does anyone know where I might get the paint codes for these examples.
Thanks
Steve
redhawk.jpg

goshawk.jpg

Last edited: