RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Thanks to Weathermeister and AirNav both for helping to optimize my AirVenture 2008 flying adventure.

I am Oshkosh bound as of Saturday 19 July. Weathermeister?s easy to understand ?Winds Aloft for Great Circle Route:? pointed me to an altitude that I do not normally fly at to take advantage of a 20+ knot tailwind. I had GPS ground speeds of 180 Knots turning 2,300 RPM in my 160 HP RV-6. I normally would not cruise at 3,500 feet but 10-15 knot greater tailwind than my normal 9,500 and 7,500 convinced me to fly lower and save 30 minutes flying time.

I used AirNav to shop for lowest cost fuel. I was expecting to pay over $5 gallon for fuel. AirNav.com pointed me to FBOs along my flight that had the lowest cost fuel. Departed SoCAL and stopped St. Johns (SJN). 100LL was $4.95. The operator of the FBO at SJN said that it was going up to $5.15 on Monday 21 July. Next stop was Borger, TX (BGD) and fuel at $4.72. Pittsfield, IL (PPQ) was the next stop where I found 100LL at $4.43.

My research on AirNav.com on Friday 18 July showed places with fuel for $4.50 or less. Here are a few that I did not stop at. I am posting them for others to see as they may be on your route to Oshkosh. Check Airnav.com for latest pricing. When you find that it has changed, update the Airnav.com web site.

MDF Mooreland, OK $4.22
K58 Garnett, KS $4.50
UXB Cuba, MO $4.50
MBY Moberly, MO $4.43
K52 Monroe City, MO $4.50
FWC Fairfield, IL $4.41
PRG Paris, IL $4.49
I95 Kenton, OH $4.49

I realize that in this day and age, fuel prices change daily but thought everyone would like to know where the lowest prices are for this years flying trip to Oshkosh. Prices like this could be the difference of one flying to AirVenture 2008 and staying home.

I will be arriving Oshkosh in a flight of RVs on Sunday around 12:30.

CYYJ KOSH= Victoria BC to OSH

This will be my first Airventure trip. I am looking forward to see what its all about. The Notam about the arrival procedure worries me a little. I have flown in to Arlington NWEAA airshow, but my guess is that OSH is much busier. I think also this is part of the fun arriving at Wittman airfield. I am also looking forward to see new ideas how to make my RV flies better-faster-looks better-ect. I like to expand my knowledge about engines, soooo I will attend lots of workshops-forums about engines. In other words.....I will attempt to keep my self calm and pace my enthusiasm and hopefully survive....hehehe

BTW. I am camping......The airplane need to be tied down. Do they have tie-downs in the grass or do I have to look for one? To you seasoned Oshkoshers...what shall I bring?

Looking forward to see all you RV'rs there

Hifly Pete (one five thousand five hundred FT going to OSH);)

BTW. I am camping......The airplane need to be tied down. Do they have tie-downs in the grass or do I have to look for one? To you seasoned Oshkoshers...what shall I bring?

Bring your own ties downs, and everything you need for camping.

Stakes

Bring you own ropes, straps or chains. If you don't have stakes, the EAA will rent a set of 3 for $5 for the duration.

Steve

EAA tie downs

The ones that EAA rents are ****. I wouldn't use them to hold my tent down, let alone trust my airplane to them. Bring your own.

Getting ready

Bring your own ties downs, and everything you need for camping.

My friend Don, who is the welding artist/pilot just welded 3 long stakes out of 3/8 re-bar. I think it will hold a strong wind.....I hope the wind will be absent.

As far as Camping, I will only bring tent, tarp and sleeping bags.
I will go to the Mexican restaurant close to the site for food. I heard lots of good establishments are at a stones throw of the Airventure.

Thanks for all your advice.