777drvr

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of incorporating wingtip recognition lights into the wingtips of my newly purchased 4 .

Does the Airtech installation require a lot of external glass work and repainting ? Ideally I'm hoping that I would cut the appropriate opening and an internal flange would be glassed in ..

Who has installed this mod ?

Marc

The installation goes pretty easily; it took me a couple of sessions to install them. Working time was probably 8-10 hours (I'm slow) but calendar wise was longer due to the cure times for the epoxy for both the layups and for the fill/sand/fill/sand cycle. One of my inserts had a large (5-6" long x 1/8" wide) void under the gelcoat; that cost me some extra time as I didn't find it until I thought I was done filling/sanding/etc.

I'm still building so didn't have to worry about the repainting part. That said, only a small portion of the wingtip is affected, and will be done with the wingtip off the plane. The hardest part about it would be color matching, I would guess, but any professional paint shop should be able to handle that.

Thanks Brad . I guess some painting would have to be done . Better start looking for a paint match !

Marc