A sad day indeed

I read that one of the pilots killed was Jimmy Franklin. I'll never forget seeing him fly his Modified WACO w/ J85 Jet engine...truely an X-Wing out of Star Wars! While I didn't know much of Bobby Younkin, I know these two men were the top of their profession. All of our prayers are with those families during this difficult time. Godspeed...

AvWeb has the story in this mornings edition. Fox News has the footage. Its very sad, hopefully its the only one this year. Its going to be a lot quieter at Oshkosh this year.
Jeff

Tru-Track connection?

Bobby Younkin is Jim Younkin 's (Tru-Track Autopilots) son, isn't he? Jim Younkin keeps some of his antique planes at the the Arkansas Air Musuem at Drake Field in Fayetteville. Seems like I saw that Pitts "Samson" that Bobby was flying there once, but I could be mistaken.

Bobby Younkin

You are correct. Bobby Younkin was Jim Younkin's son. I met him at Springdale once and he showed me Sampson in a trailer ready to be transported to an airshow. He was a soft spoken and very open gentleman during that meeting. The first time I saw him fly was at Sun 'n Fun this year where he put the Super Decathlon through its paces. I have seen so many aerobatic demonstrations that they just don't interest me anymore but his flight was so perfect and the performance so tight it was a new experience. My wife who hates aerobatic demonstrations was spellbound by the performance, as was I. I had heard about his performances in the biplane Sampson, the twin Beech 18 and Learjet 23 as well as his part in the Masters of Disaster show but I had never seen them until the Arkansas Air Museum Air Show a few weeks ago. All of the performances were smooth as silk clearly showing the beauty of aerobatic flight in these vastly different airplanes. I am so glad I got to see them. I did not really enjoy the Masters of Disaster show - that's just a personal old man thing. In the Air Show announcement section of this forum I had put in a photo of Bobby Younkin pulling up in the Learjet with smoke on climbing for the heavens. It is still there but I will add it below.

I had seen Jim Franklin several times since Reno in 1985. He was always best of show. When Bob Hoover flew the Shrike Commander and Lefty Gardner flew the P-38 in twin engined air show routines Jim Franklin flew the Aerostar in a routine that stole the show. It was a "performance" where the others were very good demonstrations. His jet powered Waco had to be seen to be believed.

Bobby Younkin and Jim Franklin were unique showmen and I don't think I will ever see their likes again. Rest in peace.

bobbyyounkinlear233tl.jpg

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Bobby Younkin's Funeral

I just received this from my EAA Chapter (732) here in Arkansas:

Members,

Funeral services for Bobby Younkin will be Monday, July 18, 10:30 am at First Baptist Church in Fayetteville (20 E. Dixon). Arrangements are being handled by Beard's Funeral home (479) 521-8551. They have informed me there is no visitation.

Chip

For all of you that would like to have been there

I went to Bobby Younkin's Funeral today. I wondered privately whether people outside the family and intimate friends would come to pay their respects. It turned out that is exactly who attended. Fayetteville Arkansas is not a major city but the First Babtist Church is quite large. Every seat was filled. People from his family and the airshow family got up and told wonderful stories of their friendship with Bobby and how he had affected their lives as aviators, musicians and people. After that part of the service had ended and the preacher had taken over the service again, a very emotional, very sincere and very purposeful Jim Younkin stood up and walked to the microphone and told all that were there about his beloved son. These were stories that went very deep into Bobby's childhood that established the values that guided him in life and and infected him with the incurable love of aviation that was much deeper than the common perception. At the end of the service Bobby's son took up a horn and played "Nearer My God to Thee" with tones and clarity that reasonate with the soul - it was perfect as if the son wanted to perform the very best for his father. Then we went to the cemetary where I had been told by my friend Barry that there would be a missing man fly over. There were broken clouds over the Ozarks and the cemetary but I suspected if it were possible the pass would be made. I heard a faint sound of radial engines in the distance that grew louder and four AT-6s flew over in fingertip formation, no breakoff in the pass. Then I heard another group of planes coming in behind the first formation but there were five AT-6s in this group. As they passed over the cemetary TWO of the planes pulled up and out of the group in their own very tight departing formation. The significance was not lost on me.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Bob, thank you for posting that.

I've met Jim Younkin on a few occasions and can't imagine what his and Bobby's families are going through. Oh boy, I'm gonna go hug my kids...

D

In Memoriam by David Bowman

I received this from David Bowman for the EAA Chapter 732 Newsletter and I want to share it with you:

In Memoriam?One of our highest flyers!

We buried Bobbie Younkin today, well ahead of his time. ?We?, consisted of fellow aviators, members of his church family, members of the community at large, and, of course, and his surviving family members. The world of aviation lost one of its star performers, and Northwest Arkansas lost a significant member of our community.

During the service at the First Baptist Church in Fayetteville, one testimony after another was shared about Bobby?s zest for life, his passion for aviation, his musical skill, his love of animals, and the importance of his family. The Younkin family name has been synonymous with aviation here in Northwest Arkansas, and around the world. Bobby?s Dad, Jim Younkin, was selected for membership in the Arkansas Aviation Hall of Fame, Jim?s wife, Ada, has been helping recently with the Aviation Boot Camp for young people at the Arkansas Air Museum, and his son Matt has already embarked on an aviation career of his own. And Bobby?he was in a class, all by himself.

I met Bobby, of course, as a result of seeing him fly at Fayetteville?s AirFest, several years ago. His flying skills were truly remarkable, but he also had the ability to speak with anyone, regardless of age, sex, education, or flight experience, and make the contact one that was both memorable, and educational. He did not talk down to people, he didn?t talk at people, rather, he talked with you. He didn?t put on special ?airs? to impress his listeners, but he made people feel there was something in them. Our students in the college aviation program at NorthWest Arkansas Community College, and the members of the local Civil Air Patrol Squadron, had the benefit of listening to one of his presentations, and they were unanimous in their praise for Bobby. Making Samson fly sideways, flying inverted in a Lear Jet or slow-rolling a WWII era twin-Beech was what he did best!

Jim & Bobby Younkin shared a special Father and Son love for the fascinating world of flight. Bobby?s Dad, Jim, told all of us at the service, about some of their times together, and about the highest regard Bobby had for a toy airplane that became his key to a life in aviation.

Personally, one of my favorite activities is working with young people, opening the doors to a future world in the sky. Last week, the day we learned of the tragedy at the air show in Canada, we were just starting a summer aviation camp for 10-14 year old students in the Air Museum at Fayetteville?s Drake Field. We held the classes in the historical, white hangar, where I had talked with Bobby just prior to the AirFest on Father?s Day weekend. The students toured the museum, and at one point, learned that some people think they have seen the spirit of one of Fayetteville?s pioneering aviators, Ray Ellis, looking at some of the displays. You may have your own views on ghostly apparitions, but in retrospect, I think a new spirit was there with us in our summer camp. The unbridled enthusiasm that Bobby had for the miracle of flight was reflected in the faces of those young people, many of whom were flying for their very first time.

Loosing Bobby, and his friend and flying partner, Jim Franklin, was certainly not what any of us expected, but I think Bobby & Jim would want us all to learn something from it. The investigation is progressing, & we should learn why the accident happened. In a larger sense, though, I think they would want us to learn from how they lived their lives?a challenge to us all to remember, that this life that we live, is not a dress rehearsal. Bobby & Jim lived their lives to the fullest, continually ?pushing the envelope?, not unlike a certain ?Jonathan Livingston Seagull? (see the book by that name, written by Richard Bach).

As a final salute, and a testament to the wide and loving network of supporters, the service at the grave-site was punctuated by the familiar drone of powerful, radial engines approaching the south. Nine pilots, flying nine WWII trainers, T-6 Texans, flew in perfect formation over Bobby?s final resting place, and just as they passed, two of the planes rose up and away from the rest of the flyers. In perfect formation, the two aircraft steadily climbed in a graceful turn until they passed from view. The ?missing man? formation, frequently performed to salute a missing comrade, has never been done better than this! These pilots and their craft came to Fayetteville from all over our United States, to offer their final respects to Bobby and his family.

Bobby, and his friend Jim, have passed on to a higher plane (pun certainly intended). So many of our lives have been made richer because of them. It is now up to us to carry on, to improve, to grow, and most importantly, to ?give back?. Help our young people and those new to aviation, to know of the many wonders that await them.
We will miss you Bobby, but when you have the chance, please drop us a line, and fill us in on what Wilbur, Orville, Wiley, Amelia, and all the others are flying now!

Dave Bowman, Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
EAA Young Eagles Coordinator
Director, NorthWest Arkansas Community College Aviation Department