ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
I'm going to flying from Salt Lake City to Conroe TX. on Saturday and was wondering if anyone knew of a restaurant around the Midland area or really anywhere between Sante Fe and Conroe (North Houston). Our first stop (weather permitting) is Santa Fe, then we were going to take a fairly direct route to Conroe, but would definitly vector somewhere else if there was a good stop along the way.

I have found a few but it seems like most are not open on Saturday's!

:) Thanks in advance. :)

:) I've travelled quite a bit and the Indian Cliffs Cattlemans Steakhouse 20 miles SE of EL Paso in the desert 4 miles north of I-10 is THE best steakhouse in the U.S. IMHO. A bit pricey but well, well worth the drive either from KELP or KE35. 915-544-3200

If you are going to be close to KSEP, I recommend the Hard Eight Bar-B-Q. A lot of the VAF folks will gather there on some good weekends for fun and fellowship, and the food is great. Coopers in Llano has good food also, and I understand they may have an airport car.

The bride and I along with some friends flew in the Fredericksburg and stayed at the Hangar Hotel. Had several meals at the Diner. It was pretty good food, but if you are traveling, you can't beat taxiing up to the front door of the restaurant.

I was looking at the direct route from NM and you will pass pretty close to KSWW Sweetwater. They have an airport car, and Ms. Allen's family style restaurant is a great place to eat. No menu. They just put out all that home cookin' and you eat until you are full (or tired). John Howard is the airport manager, and tell him I sent you.

You will also pass close to Brownwood KBWD. Underwoods is famous for their Bar-B-Q, Fried Chicken, and all. Last time we needed a vehicle in BWD, they had an old camo Dodge powerwagon for an airport car. It was a hoot. One of the top ten airport vehicles, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, all else fails, stop at 77F just southeast of Sweetwater, and I will take you to lunch.

Best wishes for a safe flight and good wx.

Wes Hays
Winters TX
RV-6A 740+ hrs
RV-7A Finishing Wings

Scott,

Fredericksburg is good--unique 40's atmosphere. I personally prefer Coopers BBQ in Llano, Texas--just about 20 miles n./ne of Fredericksburg. You can land at Llano's well maintained 4k' paved strip (NE of town), talk with Larry (tell him Dave B. from San Antonio sent you), and take one of the courtesy cars (old-tired DPS cruisers) the two miles to Coopers. Be very hungry when you go--the BBQ is incredible!! Check out some pics in a thread from two weeks ago---search "Coopers".

BTW, they also have reasonable fuel prices!!!

Cheers,
Dave B.
RV9a/ECi0360/James cowl/Catto Prop-106 hrs and a permanent smile!!!

ps. You might want to try one of their cobblers--I recommend the blackberry!!

Scott,

Welcome to Texas! As many have stated, Fredericksburg is a great stop if you want good food and convenience - park right in front of the diner. Another option if you can wait till you're almost in Conroe is Brenham - the 50's style diner is right on the ramp, staffed with friendly young ladies in poodle skirts. And the bonus desert there is Blue Bell ice cream - the best in the land!

As you can tell, you won't need to carry MRE's to make it across Texas....

Paul

Very good Chinese food restaurant located in the passenger terminal building at Mathis field (KSJT), San Angelo, TX. Terminal is midfield, west of the main 18-36 runway. FBO's on the south end, full service at Ranger Aviation, self-serve fuel at Skyline Aviation. GA traffic can come and go through a door on the SE corner of the terminal building, right on the edge of the tarmac.

My "X" lives in Conroe, I'd be glad to give you her phone number and address! Drop on in, tell her I sent ya. She was a good cook. That's about it. :cool:

Sounds like a song..... "All my "X's" live in Texas.....".......... It will never catch on.

What time will you be arriving and how much time are you going to be spending in Conroe? I want to check out your -10 sometime when you are here. There are a bunch of RVers at that airport and all of them are super nice.

rvwannabe said:
What time will you be arriving and how much time are you going to be spending in Conroe? I want to check out your -10 sometime when you are here. There are a bunch of RVers at that airport and all of them are super nice.

I'll be at Conroe all week. My wife and I are heading to the Bahamas on the 23rd or 24th of Feb. but I have a week long conference in The Woodlands the week before. We are planning on landing around 5-6pm. I am freinds of the famous Joe Walsh...I mean Joe Waltz (RV-8) driver. I lived in Spring TX for a couple of years and "helped" (I drank his Shiner Bock) build his -8.

I'm sure I'll be out there quite a bit, I'll look for you.

Last edited:
Geico266 said:
My "X" lives in Conroe, I'd be glad to give you her phone number and address! Drop on in, tell her I sent ya. She was a good cook. That's about it. :cool:

Sounds like a song..... "All my "X's" live in Texas.....".......... It will never catch on.

What's her call sign? I just may depending on your answer.

Man,thanks for all the great recommendations and offers. I'll take a look at all these options tonight when I get home.

ScottSchmidt said:
I'll be at Conroe all week. My wife and I are heading to the Bahamas on the 23rd or 24th of Feb. but I have a week long conference in The Woodlands the week before. We are planning on landing around 5-6pm. I am freinds of the famous Joe Walsh...I mean Joe Waltz (RV-8) driver. I lived in Spring TX for a couple of years and "helped" (I drank his Shiner Bock) build his -8.

I'm sure I'll be out there quite a bit, I'll look for you.

I have flown with Joe, very nice guy! Oh ok, so you know the guys in the Conroe bunch then.

rvwannabe said:
I have flown with Joe, very nice guy! Oh ok, so you know the guys in the Conroe bunch then.

I don't know the Conroe group. I knew the group over at Hooks. I would go over and have breakfast there. I actually have never been to Conroe.
Looking forward to it though.

Just a heads up on the airport. Runway 1/19 is in the middle of being redone, so it's not an option for landing or t/o.